Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

I've got a 98 Suburban NO Forward gears!!

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2020, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by livinginsuburbania
well that is indeed not the answer I was looking for. So it's most likely 99% bad tranny? Bummer. I did end up buying it for $1K. I was hoping for a better solution. Obviously, I will want to do a thorough check to make sure that it is in fact a bad trans but is it worth my effort trying to confirm that it is a bad transmission? The rest of the truck is perfect. Which would be cheaper, pulling a trans from another Suburban or getting mine rebuilt? I guess I might have to think about parting it out too. Any feedback at this point would be great as I've never been in this situation before. Thanks again.
you will need a full rebuild on that 4l60e transmission unfortunately. If you pull one out at junkyard is 50/50 chance it will work or for that matter last. But some are lucky and get good one. I usually just rebuild mine when I break it.
Old March 21st, 2020, 1:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by livinginsuburbania
well that is indeed not the answer I was looking for. So it's most likely 99% bad tranny? Bummer. I did end up buying it for $1K. I was hoping for a better solution. Obviously, I will want to do a thorough check to make sure that it is in fact a bad trans but is it worth my effort trying to confirm that it is a bad transmission? The rest of the truck is perfect. Which would be cheaper, pulling a trans from another Suburban or getting mine rebuilt? I guess I might have to think about parting it out too. Any feedback at this point would be great as I've never been in this situation before. Thanks again.
you will need a full rebuild on that 4l60e transmission unfortunately. If you pull one out at junkyard is 50/50 chance it will work or for that matter last. But some are lucky and get good one. I usually just rebuild mine when I break it.
Old March 21st, 2020, 1:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

you're only 9 years too late