Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 6:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Low Oil Pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2020, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Chevrolet Suburban low oil light

Just test drove a 2009 Chevrolet Suburban with the 5.3 in it and 191,316 miles on it. It was very cold out -4 degrees F. After warming it up went for a drive, no unusual engine noise sounded good, on the way back the low engine oil light came on then went out. Stopped and checked the oil level it was good. Got back in and drove it back to the dealership and the light came on again and would not go out. Any suggestions on this?
Old December 20th, 2020, 9:50 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

There is a good possibility that the screen covering the oil pressure sending unit is clogged. A search of the forum will give you the procedure for removing and cleaning.
Old July 27th, 2021, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Eric Breeze
Ok I am having the same problem with the low oil pressure warning light and check engine light coming on as others are. I have an 08 Suburban 1500 LTZ 6.0L 4 wheel drive with 112,000 miles. Never had this problem until now. Oil gauge started bouncing around then steadily began dropping eventually setting off warning. Stopped checked oil, it was full. Started back up pressure was back up. Drove it & within a few miles started dropping again. Took it to a friend who owns a shop and is an ASE certified master mechanic. He replaced the oil pressure sending unit. He said he wasn't charging me until we saw if that solved the problem. It worked for one day then the same thing. Well I had to take it to the dealer to get the door handle fixed so I had them check it out. They just called and said it was the oil pressure sending unit and was going to be $700 to fix. First I said I just had that replaced last week and second I said $700? The GM service guy said well we show that is what the problem is and the part alone is $600. Needless to say they are not fixing my vehicle. I called my mechanic friend and told him what the dealer said. He told me the OE GM part is only $86.24 and list 3.6 hrs labor. Thanks a lot Tyler Motors for trying to screw your customers, I bought this vehicle from you, I am going to trade it in for a Ford.
Did you ever get a resolution to this problem? I am having the same issue; oil pressure confirmed with gauge, changed the filter screen but problem persists and the mechanic says that it is not the Sending Unit.
Old July 27th, 2021, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having the same problem; confirmed oil pressure with gauge, changed filter screen, mechanic shop says it is not the Sending Unit.
Old July 27th, 2021, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Did you ever get a resolution to this problem? I am having the same issue.
Old July 29th, 2021, 4:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You spent $1,500 got brakes and calipers. You can't complain you could have done that yourself. And you got a price so good I'm guessing OEM parts were not used.
Old July 29th, 2021, 4:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you passed emissions recently (I assume you did), then your engine is running well.

Because of that I would guess you have something loose or something likely easy to replace about to fail.

air, fuel spark, sensors, wiring. it's won't be air since that would fail more regularly. fuel: a failed fuel pump usually acts up on cold starts. spark - a failed distributor coil would likely not start after stopping. failing sensor like crank or O2: possibly the cause and a cheap ODBII would tell you. wiring: a loose ground can shut off engine, yes, some grounds do that - most not - but some do - like the ground strap that hooks to a fuel tank.

If you don't have an OBDII reader w/trans, get one. They are cheap no excuse asking questions here if you haven't got one and read your status and codes.

Last edited by 2001 chevy silverado; July 29th, 2021 at 4:56 PM.