Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need advise, unstable idle now a code

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2010, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise, unstable idle now a code

I have a 2000 tahoe with the 5.3 4wd with 175k miles. It started a couple months ago, intermittantly running unstable when first started. Alomost like it was running out of fuel but after about 5-10 seconds cleared up and was fine. Now we have our first cold morning of the year( below 28 degrees) and for the first time I got a service engine soon light. I pulled the code at the auto parts store and it was a p0171, bank one lean. They told me to replace the 02 sensor but the guy didn't seem to sure about that. Could these two problems be related? What should I check first? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

I have checked fuel pressure and it remains stable. I replaced the fuel pump approx 8 months ago.

Thanks
Angus
Old November 26th, 2010, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angus,

It sounds to me like you may have some carbon build up in a few areas. When was the last time you change your spark plugs and airfilter? A cheap and easy way to clean carbon build up from your engine, crankcase, and fuel injectors is seafoam. I recently recieved a check engine light on one of my vehicles, they told me I needed an O2 sensor and catalitic converter ($1000) man hours not included. I bought two bottles of seafoam ($20). Added half of a cand to the gas tank, to clean the injectors, half to the oil, and about a little more than .25 to the crankcase. I drove my vehicle for about to days, drained the oil, put in premium fuel and the check engine light went out after two or three days. I still run 87 octane and no check engine light. Seafoam saved me $980. You can review the actual processes on youtube, just type in seafoam and do a search. if you add it to your oil do not drive over 60 miles before changing it. It can damageyour engine, if proper procedures are not followed. I use it all my vehicles. I hope this helps.