Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

need help 2 problems

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2012, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help 2 problems

I need help with two problems that I have with a 2005 tahoe first problem is with the 4x4 set to auto, the traction control engages on dry surfaces in straight line and on slow corners. I was thinking wheel speed sensor ( I already replace steering wheel position sensor) maybe? then how to tell which one. The second problem is that last week I noticed that the coolant was low so I added some now about 500 miles latter its low again by 3 quarts. I cannt see any where that its been leaking and the exhaust smells sweet so I'm thinking intake gaskets or head gaskets how to I tell which ones?

Thanks for the help.
Old January 30th, 2012, 3:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace both intake and head...you've already got it torn down to the heads, what's a few more bolts, right?
Old January 30th, 2012, 6:58 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mutineer,

The traction control problem may be a wheel bearing/speed sensor assembly issue. As for the low coolant problem, the gaskets are a possibility. These are just suggestions, not a diagnosis.

I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. A certified technician should be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis with a physical inspection.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 30th, 2012, 7:28 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

mutineer: Welcome to the forum.

You could run a compression check to check the head gaskets. Check the underneath side of the oil fill cap for moisture and/or a jell-like emulsified oil.