Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Member, Z71 or LTZ

Old February 21st, 2012, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, Z71 or LTZ

Good morning. Rather than search old threads, I opted to start a fresh one regarding my upcoming order. I'll be buying a 2012 1/2 ton LT 4x4, and am 99.9% set on the Z71 as opposed to the LTZ. Seems around here it's mostly soccer moms who drive the LTZ models, and I do not have any interest in nav or dvd screens. If anyone has any suggestions, input, etc on the quality of the Z71 upgrades I would love to hear them. Im looking forward to being part of the Chevy community. My wife is pregnant with baby #3, so we will now have 3 kids under the age of 4, definitely time for the Suburban!
Old February 21st, 2012, 8:11 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LTZ sports autoride. it's nice and helps if you tow.

the Z71 has dash panels that are and look like plastic, vs the LTZ ones that are plastic and look like fake wood crap.

I would however hold off 1 year. or at least until August.

Rumor is the 2013 tahoe will be all-new, which will push the price of the 12 down, or let you buy a 2013. wait 6 months and you will be better off. else you will have a 5 year old tahoe the day you buy it.
Old February 21st, 2012, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Im banking on the fact the new vehicle wont be out until MY2014, but even if it came out as MY2013 I still wouldnt buy it until at least in its 3rd or 4th yr of production. Ive learned the hard way that you have to give automakers a couple yrs to get all the bugs worked out.
I do not tow, so autoride is not too much of a concern. I do however take the occassional off roading trip. To clarify, Im not in the market for a Tahoe, but rahter a Suburban.
My other option is to bypass the burban all together and just get 2 minivans.

Last edited by jlwsbw; February 21st, 2012 at 8:39 AM.
Old February 21st, 2012, 9:07 AM
CF Addict

if the 2013 tahoe is all new, the suburban will be as well.

If you need a burban, also check out the expedition, and the sequia, and even the explorer has 3 rows of seats. or XC90, (but that's also do for a refresh)

MSN autos has lots of info on competitors and a comparison page. I see GM needing it by 2013, gas prices going up, and even with it's good looks, the Tahoe has been on a roughly 5-6 year refresh cycle. when was the last one? the GMT900 actually was shown in 2006, released as a 07.

According to wiki:

GMT900 2007 - Current
GMT800 1999 - 2006 (7 years)
GMT400 1998 - 1998 (10 years)

so I'd wager either 2013 or 2014, but in any case, shop around. I've been nothing but disappointed with my bought new '09 Tahoe LTZ... for $57,000 I just expected... more, ya know, something that worked...
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

interesting, what kinds of problems have you had on yours? i did check out the ford, but the interior is not as nice as the chevy. because we have 3 dogs, we need that space behind the 3rd row, and the acadia and others just cant provide the same space.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:06 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Congratulations, jlwsbw, on baby #3! I hope that everything goes well over the next few months and that (s)he arrives safe and healthy!

From my resources, the Z71 package includes: specially tuned springs and gas-charged monotube shocks, off-road jounce bumpers, skid plate package, heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, 18" aluminum wheels with on-/off-road blackwall tires, Z71<sup></sup> Off-Road Appearance Package with unique front fascia and bright chrome grille,front and rear wheel flare, tubular assist steps, and front frame-mounted recovery hooks (on 2WD models). The package is only available on 1/2-ton LT models and requires Black, Summit White, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Silver Ice Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic or Graystone Metallic exterior colors.

As far as features that are standard with the LTZ trim and not with the LT trim (although they may be available at an additional cost), those include: audio system with navigation (which I realize you expressed disinterest with), Bose 10-speaker sound system, the rear vision camera, cargo mat, auto-dimming rear view mirror, differences in the front seats (12-speed adjustable, power lumbar control, both heating and cooling in LTZ), heated and reclining 2nd row seats, side blind zone alert, heated and auto-dimming exterior mirrors, among others. I am only hoping to provide information for you to consider, not persuade you into a higher trim level (just wanted to throw that out there).

I hope this was helpful for you, and if you have any further questions we'd be happy to answer them to the best of our abilities!
Sarah
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:30 AM
CF Addict

Yea; then you do need a burban or the ford. the ford's 3rd row power folds flat as well. also the ford sports 4 wheel independent suspension.

Ford's quality is superior, the fit and finish, but their SUVs are too truck like on the inside for me, I liked the inside of the GM more.

Well, where to start, it's been back to the dealer over 20x,
squeeks / rattles from NEW with 3 miles
Bluetooth never worked right
Voice Commands for sat nav never worked
quality of materials / construction is subpar
integration of tech to vehicle is crap
leather is super thin
electrical gremlins abound
2 DeathStar component replacements
driver's door inside replaced 2x
rear door cover replaced
multiple dead battery issues before I put in a yellow top
Transmission jerks when slowing down
sat-nav was designed by a 65 year old (not a 6 year old, as they would have done a better job).
etc etc.

just check it out well before you buy because your depreciation will be almost $20,000 in the first year...
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

so perhaps im better off looking at a 2011 LTZ as there are a billion of them available...
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
CF Addict

it would be a lot cheaper, and as far as I know the 2012 doesn't add anything major... one under the factory bumper to bumper would be best.
Old February 21st, 2012, 2:18 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

jlwsbw: Welcome to the forum.

If you are in the market for a GMPP extended warranty, check this out. They can beat your dealer by a mile. And if you get rid of the truck before it expires, you get a prorated rebate.

Save a ton of $s and look at a 2010 or 2011. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member, Z71 or LTZ