Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Radio problems

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2007, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio problems

When I start the Tahoe, at times, the radio speakers will not work. The radio functions normal, but no sound comes out of the speakers. Has any one else had this problem?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 9:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Radio problems

Need more info. What year vehicle and what stereo.
Old December 4th, 2007, 1:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: doo600

I second that, but you might start by checking all the wires and connections to see if anything is loose.
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: engine2

ORIGINAL: doo600

I second that, but you might start by checking all the wires and connections to see if anything is loose.
+1

If Bose system then start with the plugs under the center console going to the amplifier, a loose connecter here is commonly the problem.
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

It's a 2003 and it has the factory bose stereo
Old December 4th, 2007, 2:18 PM
CF Addict

Ok then see above.
Old December 4th, 2007, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help!
Old December 12th, 2007, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Hello, I am new here, but have done lots of reading. I have a 2004 Suburban Z71 and I am having the same problem as rldtahoe. Radio works fine, but no sound. The sound cuts in & out on allspeakers. I've pulled the head unit & swapped with another and still having the same problem. I've checked all the wires & plugs and there doesn't seem to be any loose connections. Is it possible the amp is toast?? Are these repairable? I'd hate to spend $300+ for a new amp. Has anyone else had failures with the Bose amp?? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. One other question, does anyone have a wiring schematic for the stereo system, and more specifically the Bose amp??

TX in advance.
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:30 AM
CF Addict

Welcome:
For the 2004 Tahoe:

1. Check for audio at the Rear Seat Audio controls through the head phones. If there is, then the radio is producing audio.

2. Check pin B11 (switched 12volts) for 12 volts. This is a pink wire on the large Gray connector at the AMP This is a radio output that tells the amp to turn on. It should show 12 volts, if it does not, and then radio B3 pin output is not operating properly. This could be caused if the radio is not programmed correctly or a circuit concern.

3. Check pin B1 (amp mute) for 0 volts to 5 volt, this a Gray/Black wire on the large Gray connector at the AMP, If the voltage is between 0 and 1 volt this tells the amp to un-mute and play. If it shows between 3 and 5 volts this tells the amp to mute and stop playing. This could be caused if the radio is not programmed correctly or a circuit concern.

4. If the above steps indicate that the system should be playing then check for power and grounds to the amplifier and if ok, replace the amplifier. The Black/White wire on the small connector at the AMP is Ground, the Orange wire is +12V.

Old December 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

ZX, Thanks for the speedy reply and in-depth answer, I will check all those things. Before I start, I do know that I was NOT getting any audio thru the rear audio headsets. Any additional steps you can provide with that info??

TX again.

Quick Reply: Radio problems