Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 2:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

rear suspension noise/shock question

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2010, 9:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear suspension noise/shock question

ok I have a 2007 Tahoe LT with 48000 miles - it really sounds like the rear shock may be going out or at least making the noise I am talking about. I have not noticed it in the past because the Tahoe lives on the pavement usually but last weekend we went to our land and I drove around the trails. Every bump I could hear a pretty loud grinding/rubbing noise that went with every bump especially when going downhill or not pushing the gas.

I posted this earlier https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/clunk-noise-when-stop-start-2007-a-31037/ I have been too busy to go by the dealer yet...but another thought is the noise was not there very much if at all when I was going up a hill/pushing the gas. Maybe something is just loose and when going uphill/pushing the gas it loads it enough to hold it tight?

what is the normal lifespan for the stock shocks? Should I go with OEM or is there another good aftermarket brand that provides a similar ride?

I have worked on most of my other cars myself but I have not had much time to really "get to know" the Tahoe.
thanks for any help
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you have not already climbed under the vehicle, I'd start there and see if anything obvious.
As for shock replacement, I think I read somewhere that the 40-60K mile range or about 3-4 years old is the time to look at replacement.
If you do them, do all 4 corners, I have used KYB in the past on my 97 Tahoe and they rode well. I have not replaced the ones on my 07 Tahoe yet...but will consider it when I hit the 45k mark
Old April 26th, 2010, 9:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 Tahoe LT 2wd with 31,000 and when I go over a speed bump slow of enter a drive way etc it sounds like my rear shocks or something else in the rear suspension is bottoming out, it makes a pretty decent squeak. Should the OEM shocks be bad this early? Im wondering if i should just go ahead and take it to the dealer while i still have some factory warranty left? I have never had an SUV yet so I'm not sure if this is normal.
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'd have the dealer check it. Seems a little early for the shocks to give out.
Old April 27th, 2010, 8:47 AM
CF Junior Member

When im going slow and I brake and go over a bump it almost seems like im peeling out, its like an errr on pavement or something. LIke I did a little spin out or something. It may not even be the shocks. I guess I will bring to the dealer this week.
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine sounds like a squeeky bed or something like that when going over a big bump. the truck handles just fine and if I try to jump on the back bumper it settles just like normal - not obvious that a shock is going out or anything but it very well could be or something rubbing.
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would have to agree with 73Shark's assessment to have your vehicle looked at at the dealership. You've said that you still have some warranty left (and by the miles you do) so if you've still got it use it before you lose it.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 27th, 2010, 9:04 PM
Administrator

some squeaking and or squealing sound can come from the upper shock tube cover scrapping on the shock tube body, however the 07's have a plastic upper cover so this is probably not the issue.
What can also make the sounds is the drive shaft splines getting dry and needing to be lubricated. GM has a lube product that can be safely be applied to the drive shaft splines and won't contaminate the transmission hydraulic fluid.
Ask the dealer to lube the drive shaft splines, this will also address any clunking sounds you have when you come to a stop...
Old April 27th, 2010, 9:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies. I know that drive shaft deal because my 07 silverado did the same thing and they had to lube the shaft. I don't know what the sound is comming from but the ride is not hurt. I'm going to go ahead and bring it in tomorrow.
Old April 27th, 2010, 9:20 PM
Administrator

It may be helpful if you can take them for a ride so you may be able to better duplicate the circumstances that it happens under, otherwise don't be surprised if you get your truck back with about 20 more miles on the odo and a no issues found results and possibly the faint smell of breakfast taco's in the truck road trip... (just kidding) but really drive it with them if you can...

Quick Reply: rear suspension noise/shock question