Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Service Batt. Charging Message

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2017, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this message come up the last 3 days and 2 days ago, I received a RECALL letter about the fuel composition sensor mounted below the frame, exposing the sensor and fuel lines to road debris. This may result in the fuel line emitting fuel odor, weeping or leaking. In addition, the vehicle may experience engine stumble, loss of power and still while driving. Well, I drove down the road not even 2 miles and the ABS light came on, my A/C wasn't blowing as much air out, the radio flickered, so I turned off the A/C and the radio. The the Track sensor came on and wouldn't turn off. I couldn't open my windows, then the power on the dash went out. I immediately pulled over and the car died! I had my battery replace about a year ago from the dealer and even then did I not get a Battery charge serviceability message.

So, I get the car towed to the dealer and show the service manager the recall letter. Immediately says its the alternator... but now I have to leave the car at the shop over the weekend before they even look at it.
Old August 5th, 2017, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks to this post, I was able to sort out my issue with this today. I had let my Traverse sit for 2 weeks and the battery went dead. So I got out the jumper cables and attached to the connections in the right front. Now there is a big ground terminal, but a wimpy positive connection. I had to wrangle around to get my cable to connect. The car started right up.

After disconnecting the jumper cables, I let the car idle for about 20 minutes to charge the battery. To check, I turned it off, then the car started right up. However, the Service Battery Charging System message now showed up. But the charging system was indeed working since the battery voltage was above 14V.

Using an OBDII scanner, I didn't find anything related to this. So I thought, what changed? So I went under the hood again. I noticed that the positive connection wiggled around - didn't seem right, but I didn't find a way to tighten it up. I took off the cover, which revealed the fuses and relays. Still no way to tighten the connection.

So I started up again, message is gone! So it only has something with that connection. Wiggling the terminal around fixed the issue (at least for now!).

Hope this helps someone else with this issue.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Had the same issue on my 08 silverado, took it to a alternator repair shop they said it was gonna be my alternator regulator, had them change it out for $60 and solved the problem, hope this helps
Old January 7th, 2019, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Guys,

Please help.

I tried to make a new post for this but no one has approved it. I have a 2015 silverado 1500 6.2L LTZ, 46 thousand miles. Been having crazy electrical issues. Randy Marion GMC and my mechanic tested battery/alternator/starter and everything is "fine". HAH....right..

I am getting a SERVICE BATTERY CHARGER and BATTERY SAVER ACTIVE message on my dash. My battery gauge is falling down to 9 (as far as it will go).

All dash lights and heat went out on me, then come back on (Happened once). Same with heated seats. Had to jump start it twice in 5 days. After a jump start I am good for a few days and battery gauge is at half way or in between 11-14, a matter of hours before it starts falling.

I have seen people talk about alternator, alternator regulator, fuse from alternator to battery, mega fuse and a bad negative battery cable....Randy Marion GMC wont look at fuses because it takes to long, they rely on the diagnostics.

Does anyone know a fix for this? Super frustrating, don't want to drive it anywhere.

THANK YOU ALL!!!
Old January 10th, 2019, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go run your VIN on www.vehiclehistory.com see what problems have popped up in the past. You might be surprised what you find.
Old January 11th, 2019, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Benzo. I found a few interesting things but none about the battery charger/saver messages. I will show this to my mechanic.
Old December 8th, 2019, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default AC button flashing

I own a 2007 Chevy suburban and it was flashing in the hot summer. It just need more freon. Check that first cuz if your low it won’t want to work.

Originally Posted by AZCardsAndIndyColtsFan
My Vehicle: 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ 2wd 5.3L

I called up the dealership (Service area) where I purchased my vehicle, told them my problem, asked if there were any recalls for "shorts". She ran the last 8 of my VIN# and said that the only thing that shows up is The "Battery." So I have an appointment to get it taken care of free of charge. Cause, not only do the headlights, and inside lights flicker (Alternator?) but the "Service Battery Charger" on the Information Center has started to pop up more frequently now.

Also, the snowflake button for the A/C occasionally will flash on/off when I attempt to use the Air Conditioning, and just blows hot air. Hoping the compressor isn't about to take a SH*T. Anyone have this problem too, and know how to resolve it? I live in AZ so it doesn't get below 30 degrees in the Spring or Summertime. I saw on other sites, that people mentioned the cold weather would be a factor, but that's not the case in my situation. I hope it's an easy, simple fix.

Gotta go replace a low beam headlight bulb now.
Old December 8th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Check the date when replying and read the whole topic.

That was posted 7 years ago, and the question was already answered by GM.
Old February 18th, 2020, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ

Originally Posted by Tomtom6
Hi everyone I too had a problem with my system light kicking on and off well I checked the battery and the alternator both checked out fine well when I got to tracking down the problem you wouldn't believe the money I was about to blow on a new battery and altenator come to find out next to the battery bolted to the body there's a 2" fuse that says 175 little fuse on it one side is connected to the back of the altenator and the other connected to the battery that $8.00 fuse was the cause of all the problems draining my battery so if your having this problem check that first before u blow all your $$$ hope this helps you !!!!
Ive been having this same problem on my Avalanche, changed battery and bought new alternator, kept having the same problem until I checked the 175 mega fuse. Now problem is fixed.
Thanks alot tomtom6
Old August 18th, 2021, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Cool Service Battery Charging System

In my experience, I have found aftermarket alternators to cause this. The Suburban and Tahoe draw a lot of power on hot days with the air conditioning running with the electric engine fans sitting at stop signs or just idling. The stock alternator will not keep up and the truck will draw off of the batteries. Some people and mechanics as well will switch to a higher amperage aftermarket alternator. This causes abnormal voltage information to be sent to the ECM and will trigger the warning. It is possible this type of alternator may have already been on it when you bought the truck. Durning this warning the aftermarket alternator is operating and still charging your batteries. To my knowledge there is no fix for this, however, it will not cause any damage to your vehicle. Check your battery and your alternator to be safe, but this may be the condition causing your issues.