Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Shudder or miss at cruising speed

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2017, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed

I had the exact same issue. I read and read through all these threads, feeling frustrated that no one seemed to have any clear solution. Then one day I was thinking bout it and couldn't remember anyone mentioning coil. I replaced coil and boom, fixed. P.S. this was after I tried timing chain, complete tune-up, the whole nine yards.

I have a 99 Tahoe 4x4 5.7, 189,000 dependable miles. Within the last month I have had several problems surface. It started with #5 poppet injector hanging open and hydro-stating the cylinder. Not knowing what had happend and being stalled in the middle of a busy street, I broke the nose of the starter off by trying re-start it. Long story short...had it towed to what I believed was a reputable shop. The spider assembly was replaced with the newer MFI version (OEM), along with a new starter, and I was back in it after one day.

After the injector work, I noticed a misfire or "buck" after reaching cruising speed and going to light throttle. If I keep it under load...no problems. I returned to the shop because I didn't have this problem before the injector work. I told the guys something wasn't right. They scanned for codes, misfires, and found nothing. Zero codes or misfires. They claim that the engine is sound and that I now have transmission problems. Not what I wanted to hear but at 189k, I could'nt argue. Maybe my luck had run out. Took it to a reputable Houston area transmission shop, they said it felt like torque converter shudder, but recommended a complete overhaul. I accepted. Now it's worse. The tranny shop says that it's worse because the tranny is now tight and firm. I am starting to believe him. By the way, the drive line is tight, no slack or back lash.

I have found some similar threads to this issue, but no solutions.

Here is what has been done so far:

New MFI injector spider (1500.00 installed with new starter)
Trans over haul (1780.00 with new converter)
Standard tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, wires)
New OEM fuel pump

As I said, I am leaning towards a motor problem. I think I was mislead on the tranmission issue. There were no problems at all before the injector. Has anyone experienced this "bucking" at highway speeds while cruising. Really its at any speed above about 40mph.

Please help[/QUOTE]
Old September 18th, 2017, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Coil. Had the exact same issues. Coil fixed it
Old May 2nd, 2019, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Miss or buck

Originally Posted by jrhope
Ok folks, an update. I drove the truck from Houston to Dallas to have a family friend who owns a garge look at it. I thought at a minimum I could eliminate any lack of trust by talking to a family friend. He scanned for codes and found 1. The cam retard was off -16 degrees. Oddly, one of my attempts to solve the problem was to install an performance chip in the ecm, and it did not trigger an CIL. I removed the chip on the spot and a light immediately came on. Therefore no codes were present until I removed the chip. We re-set the cam retard to 0 degrees. But....the problem did not go away. He, like the folks here in Houston, say I have a transmission problem and referred me to a trans shop in Tyler. I drove over and they contested that it was not the transmission. Basically the same song I was hearing in Houston. Needless to say, I drove home slightly dissappointed. On the drive home, I got a CIL light. Checks showed P0420, converter low efficiency Bank 1. The same bank as my original injector failure. I had the converter replaced and the light has not came back as of yet.

This past weekend, I drove to San Antonio for a family vacation. My gas mileage has definately improved since adjusting the cam retard. I'm getting about 15.5mpg. I have burned premium gas for at least the past four tanks of fuel. In addition, I have replaced the plug wires with AC Delco wires, and checked the plugs for any signs of fouling. A couple of them had a lot of carbon build up, yet otherwise ok. I replaced the EGR valve thinking that it could be a contributor, but she still bucks at cruising speeds.

The truck will not do it when cold. When the engine reaches operating temps and goes to closed loop, what happens? What problems could've been created when the injector hung open? There were no problems until the injector spider was replaced. Should the ECM have been re-flashed?

I have the same problem. All new distributor & all ignition related components are new. The jerk I call it got very bad and I heard a miss, no lights or codes. Half my plugs we're gassy on passenger side & nice as they should be on driver side. Almost all of the buck is gone. A new fuel pump & tank, but not filter. That's next. I'm thinking I need new fuel injectors. My motor has a fresh rebuild too. Rearend is stock so wondering if I hurt it as truck was slamming hard on freeway with loads.inspecting that & t case for damage. Im checking plugs tomorrow morning to see if they look right. If not it's injectors.
Old May 14th, 2019, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

I have been having the same problem with my 89 Silverado 2500. I have been racking my brain trying to figure it out. Today I think I have it. I was having a problem with my blinker going in and out so I figured I would try to raise my tilt on my steering wheel and, guess what, the hesitation stopped. I'm thinking it's a short or bad connection in the steering column. I'll find out by the end of the week if it works
Old October 16th, 2020, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 1994 chev 1500 4x4 with a 4.3 and 5 speed manual...the speedo was not working when I got it...I had to jump power to get it to work but when I hook the speedo up my truck will idle perfect but runs like yours at cruising speed and when coming off a gear change but works ok when under hard throttle...disconnect my speedo and works like a champ...I have been chasing this problem for a long time...I consider myself a good mechanic and I have tried checking and changing everything...the only thing I haven't changed is the PCM which is next...I know this is old post but did you figure yours out
Old September 8th, 2021, 5:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jrhope
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions....

I have a 99 Tahoe 4x4 5.7, 189,000 dependable miles. Within the last month I have had several problems surface. It started with #5 poppet injector hanging open and hydro-stating the cylinder. Not knowing what had happend and being stalled in the middle of a busy street, I broke the nose of the starter off by trying re-start it. Long story short...had it towed to what I believed was a reputable shop. The spider assembly was replaced with the newer MFI version (OEM), along with a new starter, and I was back in it after one day.

After the injector work, I noticed a misfire or "buck" after reaching cruising speed and going to light throttle. If I keep it under load...no problems. I returned to the shop because I didn't have this problem before the injector work. I told the guys something wasn't right. They scanned for codes, misfires, and found nothing. Zero codes or misfires. They claim that the engine is sound and that I now have transmission problems. Not what I wanted to hear but at 189k, I could'nt argue. Maybe my luck had run out. Took it to a reputable Houston area transmission shop, they said it felt like torque converter shudder, but recommended a complete overhaul. I accepted. Now it's worse. The tranny shop says that it's worse because the tranny is now tight and firm. I am starting to believe him. By the way, the drive line is tight, no slack or back lash.

I have found some similar threads to this issue, but no solutions.

Here is what has been done so far:

New MFI injector spider (1500.00 installed with new starter)
Trans over haul (1780.00 with new converter)
Standard tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, wires)
New OEM fuel pump

As I said, I am leaning towards a motor problem. I think I was mislead on the tranmission issue. There were no problems at all before the injector. Has anyone experienced this "bucking" at highway speeds while cruising. Really its at any speed above about 40mph.

Please help
Sorry for reviving this old thread but I have had this same issue and I've done everything except spider injection system and trans but i have also changed fuel pump a few times and fuel filter and whats funny is it will clear up for a few days then right back to it i even changed the fuel lines cleaned tank (which wasn't dirty) I am stumped but its driving me crazy to much money invested i want to know the issue so if anyone has any new information please let me know
Old September 8th, 2021, 6:18 AM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=Ethan21;470193]Sorry for reviving this old thread but I have had this same issue and I've done everything except spider injection system and trans but i have also changed fuel pump a few times and fuel filter and whats funny is it will clear up for a few days then right back to it i even changed the fuel lines cleaned tank (which wasn't dirty) I am stumped but its driving me crazy to much money invested i want to know the issue so if anyone has any new information please let me know[/QUOTE
If you would like to try something that will not cost any money you can take the fuse out for your speedo...when I do not have my speedo hooked up my truck works perfect...my truck is standard and yours may not shift correctly but it may give you a place to look if the engine works good with no speedo working....let me know how you make out
Old September 8th, 2021, 6:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

I had to change the distributor in my '99 Yukon 5.7 for a erratic misfire. The factory one is a plastic bodied piece of junk. Aftermarket makes a metal one. Mine started acting up at 90k miles. I also had to change out the spider assy. due to a leaking injector loading up a cylinder when parked.
Those are the only engine issues I had with mine over 190k miles and sold it running fine before the frame dissolved from rust.
Old September 8th, 2021, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Wink

Originally Posted by Ethan21
Sorry for reviving this old thread but I have had this same issue and I've done everything except spider injection system and trans but i have also changed fuel pump a few times and fuel filter and whats funny is it will clear up for a few days then right back to it i even changed the fuel lines cleaned tank (which wasn't dirty) I am stumped but its driving me crazy to much money invested i want to know the issue so if anyone has any new information please let me know

try pulling the SPEEDO fuse and see how it works
Old September 9th, 2021, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

All my issues started after the injectors were replaced. I had the same issue, 2 things corrected it for me. The plinth was warped and had to be replaced, also the intake manifold gasket was replaced.

Quick Reply: Shudder or miss at cruising speed