Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Slow to Warm Up

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2012, 2:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slow to Warm Up

Cool weather is coming, and last year, it seemed to take forever for my Burb to warm up (inside).
My cooling system is ok, works well through the summer, so, I'm not saying that there's anything major wrong with it.

However, I plan to do a clean/flush/hoses before next summer, and I was wondering if anyone knows or has used a specific manufacturers thermostat, which will get the temperature up to normal quicker.

I KNOW I got a boxcar of room to do that to, but it seems like it should be better/faster than it is.
Old September 21st, 2012, 2:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You're in Houston, and you need heat? Seriously, I'd drop a 195 deg in it. My lumina has a fail safe t-stat. Last winter I couldn't get any heat hardly at all. I believe it has failed open, so besides a much needed flush it too will get a t stat.
Old September 21st, 2012, 2:44 PM
Super Moderator

HAY !, you don't understand !

It gets down to nearly a +40°F around here now and then, that's hard on my old bones !

PS:
Are you saying that the stock Thermostat (which it probably has) is lower than 195°. I was under that impression that a 195° was pretty much an industry standard now, and assumed (from the dash readout which shows just under 200°) that was what is in there now.

What I was looking for was "quicker" not "hotter". Once it finally warms, it's ok inside.
Old September 21st, 2012, 3:35 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by SWHouston
HAY !, you don't understand !

It gets down to nearly a +40°F around here now and then, that's hard on my old bones !

PS:
Are you saying that the stock Thermostat (which it probably has) is lower than 195°. I was under that impression that a 195° was pretty much an industry standard now, and assumed (from the dash readout which shows just under 200°) that was what is in there now.

What I was looking for was "quicker" not "hotter". Once it finally warms, it's ok inside.
195 out to be plenty. Yours may be partially open. As I posted (right now looking at this new stat) my lumina last winter barely blew warm air, it has the fail safe open stat, and thats what I am going to replace it with.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 1:34 PM
Super Moderator

I'll definitely run some cold water over the old Stat, unless it's completely closed when I take it out.

I've not herd of a "Fail Safe Open" Stat, how does that work ?

Also, there's the "Hinged Door" and "Raising Disk" type Stats, would you know if one of those types might get the temp up quicker than the other ?
(I don't know how else to describe them )

Not as a second thought, but, I also need to consider if I do replace the Stat with another type, that I get one that has as much flow fully open, as does the OEM. I DEFINITELY don't want to diminish the ability to cool, and in fact, that's more important down here, then a brief period of my personal comfort in cold weather.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 4:19 PM
CF Monarch

This it.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 5:36 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting !
Does it say what temperature it thinks is an overheat ?
Old September 22nd, 2012, 7:18 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by SWHouston
Interesting !
Does it say what temperature it thinks is an overheat ?
It dosen't. It does however state once it has locked in the open position, it must be replaced. I suspect that is the issue with my lumina. Last winter when we had lows in the teens, I couldn't get the engine temp up much past the low mark. Thinking about it, my guess would be 220+?

Last edited by kevinkpk; September 22nd, 2012 at 8:04 PM. Reason: Thinking about it, my guess would be 220+?
Old September 23rd, 2012, 2:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kevinkpk

once it has locked in the open position, it must be replaced.

Thinking about it, my guess would be 220+?
That seems quite inconvenient (to the Owner not the Manufacturer).
I might think about lowering the windows and turning on the Heater,
or just pulling over, before that (if you knew where "that" was).

I'd agree (guessing as you have) that it's probably well into the "+".
I'd guess 212° + (15 lbs x 3.5°) -1°, would be reasonable, assuming 50%/50%.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 9:07 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd guess your 'stat is not closing fully. Stock is 195*. Read once a long time ago that the tolerance was +/- 20%. My last four Chevys ran at 200* steady.

Quick Reply: Slow to Warm Up