Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban hesitation

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2014, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2pro
Hummm only does it under load...
a communication issue with the transmission?
bogs down waiting to down shift or the down shift is delayed?
Throttle position sensor?
Bad info from the O2 system once it goes to closed loop?
clogged cat?

Just some ideas
I talked to a buddy of mine that used to be a GM mechanic, he said it sounded electrical. I put dielectric grease in every connector in the engine compartment and replaced all the plug wires with MSD 8.5 mm wires and put grease in those as well. The only parts left would be the coils.

How would I know my cat is clogged? Besides replacing it lol

As for the trans, it does it while sitting in the driveway after it has been driven, it wants to die like running out of fuel or misfiring on some cylinders, so I am ruling out the trans. It started out only under a load. It started with a little blip while accelerating from a stop or while moving and trying to accelerate. But it had a knock sensor code, so I replaced the knock sensors and the wire harness to the sensors, intake man gaskets, valve cover gaskets, injector seals, cleaned the throttle body. Once I did all that is when it started doing what it is now which is worse hesitation and missing. No codes. since the new symptoms I have replaced the plugs and wires, and put dielectric grease in all connectors, and cleaned the MAP sensor. I have 60 PSI fuel pressure while running. I don't see the injectors only failing when hot, same goes for the fuel pump. I think it may be a coil or 2, or possibly the cat which would act up once hot.
Old April 24th, 2014, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rick1025
I have the same problem with an 05 with Stabilitrac. It does not do it when the traction control is disabled.I have learned to put up with it.I have learned to disable it upon starting the car.
I thought that maybe also until I disabled the traction control and it still does it. But thanks for the input.
Old April 24th, 2014, 5:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't go too crazy with the dielectric grease, as its not conductive and could cause poor electrical connection to the plug and wire... the grease is primarily for the boot so it won't stick and will act as a moisture barrier and is resistant to breakdown under high temperatures...

As for checking out the cats, a scan tool that can read the O2 sensor data can tell you the condition of the cats... see this link for a better understanding..
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...ks-like-60456/

Old April 25th, 2014, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

I am taking it to my buddies house that has a scope to map out everything from fuel consumption on each cylinder to which cylinders are misfiring. So hopefully I will have some answers tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Old April 26th, 2014, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

So after having it hooked up to a scan tool for over 3 hours, I am no closer to an answer. It told me that all sensors are working properly and the random misfires are on all cylinders. But now tonight some good news I guess. It died just as I pulled it into the driveway, will not restart. No engine light but A code. P0336 crank shaft position sensor. I am going to replace it in the morning and see if it will restart. I hope this is the last part I buy for this issue.
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by HefLozano88
So after having it hooked up to a scan tool for over 3 hours, I am no closer to an answer. It told me that all sensors are working properly and the random misfires are on all cylinders. But now tonight some good news I guess. It died just as I pulled it into the driveway, will not restart. No engine light but A code. P0336 crank shaft position sensor. I am going to replace it in the morning and see if it will restart. I hope this is the last part I buy for this issue.

UPDATE:
well I replaced the crankshaft position sensor. It still hesitates and still wants to die after warming up. And no new codes, so the sensor probably was just a coincidence that is failed. It seems to idle smoother while just sitting but still wants to die.
Old April 26th, 2014, 12:55 PM
CF Senior Member

I would wipe off the excess di-electric grease. That is NOT helping your spark. You only need a little on the boot material to seal the boots well and make it easier to install and remove the wire sets. Also, make sure the wire are fully on. When I just replaced them on our burb I really had to rotate them around wiggle them a lot till the clicked and sat properly...

I would get a vacuum check and also make sure that the throttle body is clean. I don't know if the Gen III ls-base motors have a separate IAC, I know the Gen IV's dont... But if it does, make sure that is clean and able to move...
Old April 28th, 2014, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
I would wipe off the excess di-electric grease. That is NOT helping your spark. You only need a little on the boot material to seal the boots well and make it easier to install and remove the wire sets. Also, make sure the wire are fully on. When I just replaced them on our burb I really had to rotate them around wiggle them a lot till the clicked and sat properly...

I would get a vacuum check and also make sure that the throttle body is clean. I don't know if the Gen III ls-base motors have a separate IAC, I know the Gen IV's dont... But if it does, make sure that is clean and able to move...
I really didn't use that much grease, and the symptoms before and after are no different. I am leaning towards a bad coil or 2, or a clogged or bad injector. I am going to check to ohms on all the injectors, if that's okay then I will pull them out and clean them out, and then if that doesn't seem to be it then I bought 1 new coil, I plan on swapping it out 1 at a time to see if I find a bad one. If they all seem to be okay then I will have checked everything. and will be at the point of pulling out my hair haha.
Old April 28th, 2014, 6:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Unplug ALL connections and make sure they are clean, and when re-attcting the plugs make sure they a firmly together. Bad connections can cause all sorts of things... Pull off the Vortec cover and check all the small vacuum lines, vacuum connections, and all the electrical connections...

This one major reason why I love the carbureted 351W in our boats, when they don't run right (very rare), its easy to diagnose and repair!
Old May 1st, 2014, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

I'm loosing my mind!

So after taking a break on it to collect my thoughts, I took my intake off again. before I took it out I removed the throttle body so wouldn't have to disconnect the coolant lines. I stood the intake up on its end where the throttle body would sit and about an 1/8 of a quart of oil dumped out. I have no clue where it came from. Possibly valve stem seal? Possibly rings? not my pcv valve because in 2002 they got rid of that valve and just made an outlet on the drivers side valve cover and inside is a baffle to stop oil from being sucked up. I am going to do a compression test next. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks

So compression test done. cylinders 1 and 5 have upwards of 170, and the rest are between 150 and 160. Rings are good. Valves are good.

Last edited by HefLozano88; May 1st, 2014 at 3:43 PM. Reason: adding more info

Quick Reply: Suburban hesitation