Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe rear hatch lock

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2011, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe rear hatch lock

I recently bought a 02 Tahoe and the previous owner claimed that someone cut the lock out of the hatch (looks to be clean and just a hole there), can I buy new locks and install them and then have a locksmith match it to my key or no?
Old December 27th, 2011, 3:55 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum..
If all the assembly is there getting a replacement lock and getting it keyed should do the trick....Might check with your local dealership parts dept and see if they can key it when you buy the lock....
Old December 27th, 2011, 9:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking he may need the handle as well. Thieves punch out the locks to break in and this breaks the alumnium tab on the handle itself that holds the lock cylinder. If you go to put a new cylinder in and the tab is missing, it won't work. I found this out the hard way when I went to change the locks on my 98 and broke the tab getting the lock cylinder out of my door handle. I did my front passenger and driver's door handles and locks recently (didn't do the back doors). Probably close to the same thing I would imagine.

LMC truck has the door handles and lock cylinders. Rock Auto is a little cheaper but I'm not sure I've seen the rear door handles there. About $20 bucks for the handle and $30 for two lock cylnders and keys. A lock smith could key a new cylinder for you. I'm just going old school and using two keys!

OOPS! Just re-read this and you said "Hatch". I was thinking of the rear barn-doors. Not sure now how that's put together. Maybe someone else will chime in-Sorry. Getting old I guess.

Last edited by legolas894; December 27th, 2011 at 9:51 PM.