Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

USB port not working?

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2014, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Have you tried using a different USB cord, darob62? If that doesn't work, you might have to swing by your dealership so they can take a look at this for you. We're sorry to learn of your frustration and if there's anything we can do to help, just send us a private message.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Yes, changing cords was the first thing I tried, 3 different cords in fact. In each case, if I wiggled the cord at the plug it would start working again. It quit working very suddenly, which I thought was strange.
Old July 10th, 2014, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
If you have not already, try a different cord, its possible your cord is bad...

If you are certain its not the cord and its the USB connection make sure noting is bumping into or is resting against the connection in the compartment....

You might also try a can of air duster to blow out the connection to make its not lint or dust...

My bet is on the cord... but its possible the USB connector has weakened due to high current draws causing it to heat up....if that is the case and a different cord and a cleaning doesn't do it the receptacle may need to be replaced...
All very good suggestions; we must have been thinking along the same lines I tried 3 different cords, just to be sure. The port is under the caddy in the console and has plenty of room with nothing else in there with it. I didn't have a can of air, but I did stick the vacuum nozzle up to it. Not sure why the receptacle would suddenly become loose, but I think that is the culprit. I will try to get my Tahoe into the dealership pretty soon. I am on a tight schedule with month with work, but next month should be better. Thanks for all of the comments.
Old July 10th, 2014, 6:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by darob62
Yes, changing cords was the first thing I tried, 3 different cords in fact. In each case, if I wiggled the cord at the plug it would start working again. It quit working very suddenly, which I thought was strange.
Very strange indeed, darob62. Well, be sure to take a few different cords with you to the dealership as well just in case. We look forward to an update sometime next month!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Loose USB port

2011 Tahoe. My USB port suddenly stopped working. I can wiggle the connection and it may try to connect but 99% of the time it doesn't. I've tried several different cables with no success. The cables work fine in other devices. I used the USB port for charging and listening to my music in the car. Any advice?
Old July 11th, 2018, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default USB port replacement

Realize this thread is pretty old but I recently had the same thing happen on my 2011 Tahoe. Ended up replacement the port inside the center console. It's very easy to replace and cost about $15. You can find on quite a few sites. Genuine GM Part Number: 20944418
Hope this helps.
Old October 29th, 2019, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2017 Trax USB port does not work

This is obviously an ongoing problem and has for many years. I have been a loyal Chevy owner but by not fixing the problem...i will be hard pressed to buy another. Quality is not job 1 and Chevy has no intention of fixing it. Thats too bad...i will be sure to toss a shovel of dirt on Chevys grave. Its the details that matter...sorry Chevy you messed up 9 years and you have not addressed or fixed it. Thats laughable. Guess my next vehicle will be a Ford...maybe that will work.
Old December 27th, 2019, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe. My iPhone XR works fine. My wife's doesn't work. Backed up and swapped phones with her since she drives the Tahoe most of the time. Problem moved with the phone. Some kind of a software glitz with my phone, but i can't figure it out. Factory reset phones and still don't work.
Old June 15th, 2020, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 8118_john,

Maybe a blown fuse? I suggest you take it back to the dealer. Their certified technicians should be able to offer additional information after a physical inspection.

Keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
what about and phones ? I have a galaxy note 9 and when I plug it into the usb port I get an error code saying device is not compatible … what do I need to do ??? I just wanna listen to my music
Old November 29th, 2020, 3:18 AM
CF Beginner

Talking 2010 suburban same problems

Originally Posted by 8118_john
2010 Suburban LT - the USB port in the center console (between the front seats) is not working. The lighter style outlets in the console have power and the audio controls on the rear of the same console work fine.

The audio system will not recognize a thumb drive and there does not seem to be any power.

I'm not sure where to look - any suggestions?
I have a 2019 Suburban LT and I have the same problems as you but it seems like they reset after I turn off the suburban and wait an hour and everything is back up and running
I have taken it to the dealer and they can't find anything and I got mine new with 31 miles on it. so everything is stock in the suburban nothing is aftermarket. The USB stops working in the center console and the WiFi disconnects from the built-in hotspot to this day I have not found out why it does it but it seems like a fuse that resets its self.