Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2007 Instrument Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2013, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent! here is everything you could want to know about that MOSFET device
IRLL2705PBF datasheet(1/9 Pages) IRF | HEXFET POWER MOSFET ( VDSS = 55V , RDS(on) = 0.04? , ID = 3.8A )
I need to replace mine, are these the ones to order? Thanks in2pro for all the info. Here is a picture of mine on a 2007 Tahoe. Just for fun, I tried to re-solder but you can tell by looking at it that it would not help.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair-2007-tahoe.jpg  
Old May 22nd, 2013, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

yeah its a MOSFET. i got the official wiring schematic from GM. but i cant seem to read it well enough to find the exact transistor. if i post the schematic, do any of you think you can figure out which it is?
i see a spot on the schematic where it shows PRND321 in a box, and right under that it says "Odometer" in a box. both of which are surrounded by one main box, on the side of a dashed box that contains more stuff haha hard to explain. should i post the schematic?

local electrical guy wasnt even willing to look at it, and i havent looked for another person yet. i probably should. but havent had time yet.

Hey RedOctober, Can you send me the schematic? This Forum is FULL of good information. Thanks everyone.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 9:44 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Whistler Yeah it looks like the the smoke escaped from your device
( it burned up)
You are going to have to replace it... I'd check Amazon first, then maybe Newark (Newark | US - Electronic Components Distributor | Electronic Parts Distributor) they are about $1 but I don't know what their minimum is or if they sell to individuals
Old May 22nd, 2013, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

I actually ordered them from your hyperlink. I clicked there and then pdf and it had a buy now area. Found them for 25¢ from arrow electronics.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 9:13 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice! do follow up on the repair..
Old August 22nd, 2013, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Can you tell me how to remove the trim plate from around my instrument cluster on a 2007 suburban?
Old August 23rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone posted a good video of it, do a youtube search
Old October 16th, 2013, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Talking You guys are awesome!!!!

Originally Posted by rruelas
I believe I have a fix that,well at least worked for me. Thanks to everyone's input on here and with the help of you tube on how to remove my speedometer. One of the transistor leads on the speedo circuit board came loose between both displays (PRND321 and Odometer ). if you look hard you can see the little gap between the lead and the board in the pictures. I just put a little dab of solder on that joint and everything started working properly. I will have to say that what people are charging to repair your speedo is fair considering that you can easily screw something up if your not careful plus the added stress on working on someone else stuff. I cracked a little piece of the clear plastic lens over the speedo but you cant see it once you put everything back together. Anyway here are some pictures of what i did to fix it, use at your own risk but hopefully this will save you some money. If you do have " service tire monitor system " after you reinstall it, just start your engine for a few minutes and the message will go away and it will work properly. your correct mileage, trip, oil life meters, engine hours will be current.
THANKS RRUELAS!!!!!! You saved me ~$450-$550!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by golflen
Again, Thank You everyone, for these posts!! I finally got my DIC Cluster off and did the soldering of the chip. I did find that the solder was broken on both sides of the chip. I fixed the side near the edge and took it to the vehicle and hooked it up to test. It worked until I started to push on it a little. took it back to my little workshop and found that I had to solder the three leads on the other side.
Anyway it all came out fine. Dealer want $450 for this repair.
Golfen, same outcome here...dealer wanted ~500 bucks. I hung up and went outside to fix based on rruelas instructions. SUCCESS!! What would I do without forums like this?!!! THANKS AGAIN GUYS! YOU REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Last edited by Dtown; October 16th, 2013 at 6:12 PM.
Old December 20th, 2013, 3:10 AM
CF Beginner

Smile Repair done for tahoe 2007 lt cluster panel

I would like to thank everybody on this forum, as i used all the information about the cluster panel as my odometer and gear indicator went black, no light.
i used one video on youtube give detail how to remove your cluster panel nicely and easy
then when i took it out ,removing meter needles were difficult , so i use regular fork (for food, but thin one), then it was very easy to take them out.
i found that the mosfit transistor is like burn at left side with a small prutruding black area.
i took it to local electronic shop, ( i am in a small city in saudi arabia) we were not able to find same, so he told me that mosfit acts as switch and he got another mosfit transistor from old board he had , but bigger is size,so he fix only two legs and the heat sink soldier it with a copper wire to board (as it is not fit the old one).
then i test it pcb only and it was light !!!! in my gear indicator and odometer.
i went home and reassemble the cluster panel and fix it to the car,
keep the lens do not fix it at first, fix it in the car and check needle positions, if need change do it, then fix the lens.
i write this after 10 days of testing it and every thing is fine,
message is you can do it yourself, and you can use other mosfit not the same one as it acts as switch.
thanks again for every body, and i am ready for any help.
Old December 20th, 2013, 9:18 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the feedback. It should help others in the future.

Quick Reply: 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair