Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

1999 Tracker ignition switch bypass

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2022, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Tracker ignition switch bypass

Hello everyone! Sorry for the book. Thanks in advance.

I'm 41, married and dad of two boys. I have to drop off and pick up one of them. I have a major issue. I inherited a 1999 Tracker when my grandfather passed last year. I only received one set of keys. One gold tinted key for the doors and a plain silver key for the ignition. Last Friday, I came home from work as usual and I couldn't find my keys Sunday. I've searched everywhere. I don't know if I dropped them on my way in and the pup has ran off with them or possibly my 19 month old did something with them. Either way, I'm in a HORRIBLE situation for work now.

Our local dealership luckily had 2 blank keys in stock. Today I showed up with my title, driver license and payment. One key was cut too deep so they gave me both keys for $15. They told me it only shows one key so the ignition switch may have been changed. Good luck basically. Haha. One key worked and on the door only. Just my luck the last few months.

The Tracker is a work vehicle that I drive 6 miles a day. I've been walking to work but it's getting colder. I have removed the ignition switch from the steering column minus unplugging the harness.

1. Has anyone ever wired a toggle switch to turn on the accessories and a momentary switch to start the vehicle?

2. I've looked at kits on Amazon to start the car wireless. Do you think the ignition switch would have to be turned to accessory?

3. If I drove a screw driver into the ignition switch, would you be able to start the vehicle? I know the steering lock would still be on but if I didn't attach the top strap, I'm still able to turn the wheel.

4. Order a new ignition switch?
Old November 4th, 2022, 6:03 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

I have good news and bad news. The good news is this problem is easily fixed. The bad news it will cost you $250.

You can change the switch yourself (see YouTube videos online). Removing the two security screws will be a challenge but you will figure it out. The biggest problem with owning a 1999 Tracker is parts availabilty. Luckily this part is still available. Originally this car came with one key that fit the doors and the ignition. Having two keys means the ignition has been changed once already. Running a toggle switch is not really an option.

The ignition switch has too many wires to bypass to regain full operation of the vehicle. Order the switch while they still have one in stock.

Last edited by L84sky; November 5th, 2022 at 3:00 AM.