Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda
Old July 30th, 2015, 8:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Trailer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2012, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Wiring

Just bought a 2012 2LT with Trailer Package. The salesman handed me a wiring harness about three feet long with a connecter on one end and nothing on the other end. I guessed I had to buy a plug, and use the harness to get power to it. Yesterday, I removed the access panel and found a class III receiver and a 7 wire receptable, looking like it was ready to go. Didn't have a circuit tester, so I couldn't determine if I had power to the plug. Do I have to do anything with the harness they gave me? I'm hoping it's just plug in the trailer and go.

Just a small utility trailer. No brakes. I use a converter to a flat four plug.
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for the help

No, I'm not complaining. I didn't have a clue, and am not surprised no replies. Was hoping a Chevy Tekkie might be lurking around here. I get under the rear and play a while, and find juice is already there for the four wire conector on my small utility trailer. I'm betting the harness they gave me would be to hook up a trailer electric brake controller. I do not have trailer brakes, so I'm good to go. Like the 'verse.
Old January 27th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is there (on/under the hitch) then it should work. Get the 4 pin adapter and try. Call the salesman and ask him " What exactly is the wire you gave me for?"
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 S10 that I want to pull a small trailer with. Is there a flat plug somewhere that I can hook the trailer harness 4 wire plug into? If so, where can I find it, and if not how do I find the wires to splice into? Thanks in advance.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

when i got mine i asked what it was for and the sales man was like "i don't know" i said you better get some one here that does.

It the wiring for the trailer brake controller. the car does not come with one it has to be bought and then added in but the wires are there that is why there is a seven pin hook up out back. so yes you nee dot go buy a 7 to 4 pin adapter

Installing a Brake Control on a Vehicle Equipped with a Factory Towing Package
Old February 15th, 2012, 1:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is the connector cable for the trailer brake controller.
Which you wont need unless you have a big towed item with electric brakes.
The cable ends are wired into a controller (aftermarket).
The plugged end- is plugged into a plug that is under the dash- in the area above the brake pedal. Its usually wrapped with electrical take- and hard to see up there.

Name:  DSC00428.jpg
Views: 2138
Size:  75.8 KB
Old February 15th, 2012, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. When I found there was already power to the four wires I needed, i was sure it was for electric brakes. I did wire my Silverado for electric brakes. Won't be working the 'verse that hard.
Thanks. Love the 'verse, so far.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rbarrios
that is the connector cable for the trailer brake controller.
Which you wont need unless you have a big towed item with electric brakes.
The cable ends are wired into a controller (aftermarket).
The plugged end- is plugged into a plug that is under the dash- in the area above the brake pedal. Its usually wrapped with electrical take- and hard to see up there.

x2

did you get a fuse or relay with it? if not than you might need one to make the 7 pin round plug under your bumper to have the brakes and battery charger for a travel trailer.
Old February 10th, 2015, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 2015 traverse without the trailer package. I installed a hitch and the owners manual says there is a trailer wiring harness tied to the frame in the rear. I cant find it. Anyone know were that mite be hiding? thanks