Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

BRAKE VIBRATION

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKE VIBRATION

Hello,

A few months back, my 2005 CHEVROLET UPLANDER LTwith around 65,000km had developed a very noticeable vibration when braking -- more noticeable when braking from highways speeds (over 100 km/h to even 40-50 km/h on city roads.

My mechanic replaced the front rotors with OEM onesfrom GM, and checked that the pads were fine. We drove it and it seemed as though the vibration was not as noticeable, but still present.

A month or so later (@ around 70,000 km), the vibration was back to where it was originally. My mechanic had a replacement OEM front set of rotors from GM sent again and it still does vibrates.

This is really annoying.

What could be the problem?
a) rotors still defective? -- hard to imagine if it happened two times after the rotors were replaced.
b) something with the pads?
c) are the calipers sticking/stuck somewhere??

** ANY OTHER IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS????

Thanks!
Old March 19th, 2008, 1:03 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: BRAKE VIBRATION

Get your self a decent set of slotted rotors, I have a feeling you do alot of hard braking. Whenyou brake hard it causes the rotors to heat up and when they cool down they warp. Try this link:
Old March 19th, 2008, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Hi,

Maybe after the first set were replaced, I would think that warping was the issue (had that on a '98 Suburban... huge problem... replaced warp rotors like 4 times!) BUT the second set of rotors had vibration present just after they were installed!!!! It only got a little worse after a few thousand km.

I am located in Ontario, Canada, too... forgot to mention that!

Thanks for your advice.
Old March 19th, 2008, 1:32 PM
CF Active Member

I noticed where you were from kilometer man, us Americans use realmeasurements called MILES. It is possible your calipers are getting stuck, the vehicles so new that I wouldn't expect that to happen. The one thing you don't want to do is go replacing parts when you don't know what the problem is. I say get a whole aftermarket brake conversion kit if you want to, it will come with heavy duty slotted rotors, four piston calipers, and you probably wont have to replace them again for a while.
Old March 19th, 2008, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for you response.

If we didn't have this van on lease.. up in Sept., I would think that would be a good idea.

I'll have my mechanic check it out again...

Thanks again.
Old March 19th, 2008, 1:44 PM
CF Active Member

Oh, its on lease.... Well that changes things!!!
Old March 20th, 2008, 3:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Conversion kit sounds like a little overkill isn't it?

When they pull the brakes apart.....have them clean the built up rust from the hub with a chisel and grinder. And also lube the caliper pins so they are nice and free.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

are slotted / cross drilled rotors the only answer...i don't want to dump money into oem rotors (or any others) that will just warp again
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem and the work was done at a GM shop with GM parts and the GM price(ouch) I went and got new rotors and pads at about $100 and replaced the stuff myself. It takes about an hour, you need a 15mm wrench and I used a 15 mm socket with a 2" extension, plus the big C clamp. Just remember to remove some brake fluid from the reservoir and a torque wrench is nice to ensure the bolts (only 4 per wheel) are correctly tightened.
It takes a little longer than an oil change, and at $100 I am willing to replace them every year if I have to. It looks like the pads drag and heat up the rotors and warp them a bit.You notice around town the vibration is annoying but out on the highway it almost shakes the steering wheel from your hands, and it isn't as bad in the winter. It's an engineering/design fault and the GM guys just see it as a money maker, so just look around for the parts and do it yourself. I did see slotted rotors and ceramic pads on ebay for about $150 but I doubt it will cure the problem any more than just replacing the pads and rotors every year.
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Any suggestions on maunfacturers of replacement, slotted rotors (I assume for heat dissipation...)?

Quick Reply: BRAKE VIBRATION