Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Performance drop in filter, dry or oiled?

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2011, 5:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance drop in filter, dry or oiled?

Hey guys, everyone here likely knows about K&N drop in OEM replacement filters but with this van having a MAF and the love/hate relationships these sometimes delicate sensors have w/oiled filters, I've found one performance drop in filter other than K&N that has the option of oiled or dry filter that's still reusable.

Air Filters Direct Fit GM Cars & Trucks- 94-08 V6 30-10052 - aFe Power

Looks pretty free flowing though the $50 tag isn't pretty. I've had K&N panel filters on my Nissan and never felt a difference despite that intake setup being very restrictive (cold air system gained 13hp at the wheels on the dyno).

I'm going to build a hybrid cold air system when I get some free time (need to find a spare stock airbox/tube) but was thinking of trying out the dry filter in the meantime...

Anyone tried this yet?

Jeremy
Old January 5th, 2012, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Never tried it but I would love to see pics of your CAI system.
Old January 6th, 2012, 7:58 AM
CF Active Member

Actually the nissan setup was nothing special, similar to Volant's process. I built mine over 10 years ago not even knowing who volant was and not having the internet back then (something teenagers couldn't comprehend today!).

Going to use the same concept on the van as well....using the stock (for now) rubber/plastic intake tubing from TB to airbox. If it's large enough inside, mounting a K&N cone filter inside the airbox for better flow and much larger surface area for air intake and possibly a larger tube/duct for fresh cool air.

I'm not positive on how much of a gain there will be as the G6 3.9 guys have posted only 5whp gains with a K&N short ram intake which has little restriction. I prefer my setup to minimize intake noise (been there, done that) and reduce intake air temps while still hopefully seeing some performance gain.

But that performance dry panel drop in filter might be a decent alternative for some that don't want to modify anything...

Jeremy
Old January 6th, 2012, 8:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before computer controlled engines, you could "hop-up" an engine with add-on accessories. I don't know that you can realize much gain on an engine that is computer controlled without changing the computer or it's parameters/program.
In the old days a partly clogged air filter would adversely affect gas mileage and performance but today you wouldn't even know the filter was restricted under ordinary operation, the computer would compensate and mileage would remain relatively constant. You would notice a drop in performance at WOT (wide open throttle) but under normal driving the vehicle would perform normally until the air filter was VERY dirty.
The days of "souping" by adding/changing parts on your ride are long gone.
If you want performance improvements today ... you only need a laptop with the right program.
Old January 7th, 2012, 1:37 PM
CF Active Member

That definitely can be true Papa Bear, though I have a laptop and software for my Nissan which I use for tuning lol... regarding some makes and models, manufacturers are leaving little on the table for additional cheap performance depending on the manufacturer and design of the vehicle,etc.

For example, on my Altima, a simple cold air intake with no other mods gained 12.8hp at the wheels on a dynojet dyno. Header, pulley exhaust and computer gained another 23.xx at the wheels which is amazing. Honda's/Acuras on the other hand tend to gain very little since they are tuned so well from the factory (timing, low restriction intake/exhaust,etc)though they can gain more via VTEC tuning.

This is my first domestic so I'm taking my time and doing my research before spending too much money on it (a minivan at that). I will be getting the PCM reprogrammed but at nearly $500, I'm not in a hurry. However, it will remove most of the torque management without risk of destroying axles,etc (as long as I'm careful), will tighten the tranny shifts which will help with longevity (along with a cooler) and depending on octane, will gain an extra 5-20hp, although at 4000+ lbs, adding more hp really isn't a big deal to me....I mic'd the catback at around 2.5" OD so increasing diameter would net some gains but I want to keep it pretty quiet nowadays.

There's a Hypertech shop in Memphis so I may check with them as well...

I have the cargo model but plan on getting the standard rear setup although I haven't had time to see what makes the cargo rear so much higher as I'm not familiar w/the rear suspension on this van.

I also want a regular set of the 5 spoke aluminum 17" alloys which I can't seem to find locally at any yards yet....

I do wish I could get rid of Stabilitrak without disabling ABS though!
Old January 12th, 2012, 7:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Guys you can take this or leave it, there are cheaper and better filters then "K&N", I don't oil mind but thats just me. Read my post in "Things you've done to your uplander" I had a buddy of mine fabricate a short ram intake. I recommend this set up because you don't have to put the cone filter lower than it was originally intended. Make sure you install a bypass valve just in case. Search the web like I did. It is possible
Old January 15th, 2012, 8:25 AM
CF Active Member

I had short ram intakes systems using large 6" aluminum air horn/velocity stacks that made great top end power but where I am in the Memphis area, has killer summers for 4+ months with terrible humidity so for me it mean having aggravating throttle response and engine bog and heatsoak.

But in most other areas, it probably wouldn't be as bad and this is strictly in my own experience so this isn't meant to sway anyone.

Short ram intakes certainly make things easier and have a nice aggressive sound.

I wish I could hear Big Dawg's intake as I actually think the stock Uplander 3.9 sounds pretty good stock and would sound even better a little louder...
Old January 16th, 2012, 8:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Niceguy, sadly I only have the 3.5 one thing I need to get around to doing is take pictures
Old January 17th, 2012, 9:04 AM
CF Active Member

I have a friend w/an '08 Impala w/the 3.5 and it has a nice growl too....throw some pics up in your upgrade thread when you get a chance...