Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Uplander P0172 code

Old March 28th, 2014, 1:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wiper motor has been replaced.

no more codes, car is driving pretty good, knock on wood.

now i have to fix the rust.

GM really dropped the ball when it came to properly rustproofing these vehicles. I honestly expected a few more years before I would have paint peeling off and rust that shows.

my neighbor bought a 2008 grand caravan a month before I bought the 2008 Chevy uplander. and the Grand caravan shows absolutely no signs of rust.

look at the pic , this is added also to the dreaded third brake light, paint is falling off around that. but this is worse.
Attached Thumbnails Uplander P0172 code-van-rust.jpg  
Old March 28th, 2014, 4:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aw, man .. you gotta get that stuff before it gets that bad !

Did you buy that van brand new? That kind of rust looks like a poor repair was done in the past.

I get my '07 sprayed at Krown and it looks pristine.

Good luck.

Bob
Old March 28th, 2014, 6:02 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah, it was brand new.

no repair job. just bad craftsmanship and bad design.

good luck is what i need.
Old April 8th, 2018, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Uplander coder P0172

​​​​Hi I need help with interpreting the live data from my 2008 uplander. Previously i have an engine light and got a code P0172 with my OBD2 reader. It says fuel trim too rich on Bank 1.
I got a fuel system status: Closed loop, using O2 sensor for fuel mix.
I checked the MAF sensor and it was working fine.
I ohmed bank 1 and bank 2 Oxygen sensors and were both getting 5.7-6 ohms which is I think low but okay. I also checked voltage and were getting 10-12V.
What could be the issue? LTFT was -21% on idle and drop -15% on 2500RPM.

Old April 10th, 2018, 8:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

what does the live data for bank2 read?
is this a flex fuel compatible vehicle?
Old April 10th, 2018, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

It does not show any B2 live data. Yes it is a flex fuel.
Old April 10th, 2018, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

check out the flex fuel sensor reading. If the sensor is reading more than 10% and you don't use flex fuel, reset the flex fuel sensor. if its askew, the fuel trim will run rich.
Old April 12th, 2018, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Tech2,
My OBD scan tool dont have the capability to check fuel content and I am in search of shops that has GM tech2 scan tool but no luck.
I started my van this morning had some hesitation starting but it did start. On idle my van seems like it was shaking not like a usual idle where the engine is quiet and run smooth.
Two months ago I added kleen-flo premium gas line antifreeze because I left the van stored in my garage (with full tank) and we live in a cold environment which we had -20 degrees celsius 2 months ago. I was hoping it will prevent moisture build up in the gas tank. Now I was thinking that started the problem.
Old June 18th, 2019, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by princej
later that day, they said they dropped the gas tank and the evap canister was saturated with gas and my filler neck pipe was kinked. that and they claimed the ngk o2 sensor i put in the previous week was the wrong one and insisted they put in a c delco.

so after ordering the expensive part, they changed the evap canister and so far so good.
I suppose the hypothesis was: the engine was getting too much fuel via the Vapor Purge system (saturated Vapor canister). How would you test this before replacing the part? Could you just detach the vapor hose from the vapor purge solenoid so that fuel rich air wont get sucked into the intake and monitor the short term fuel trim for a change? If the STFT goes higher then the engine is shown to be getting less fuel.

Would this mean the engine only runs rich when the vapor purge solenoid is open with a saturated vapor canister? How often does this unit open - would you actually see distinct STFT changes (when the vapor purge solenoid is open and closed) during normal operation with a saturated vapor canister?

Interesting ....