Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

02 venture won't start

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 venture won't start

Hi Guys
I hope you guys could help my dad and I out. He has a 02 venture. He is what is going on. He can go out to van to go to the store and it runs fine. He comes back out of store and the van just cranks over. He sits there for awhile like 15 minutes the van will start up. It does this sometimes sitting for a few days. his van has all dash lights and all other power stuff works. The security light is not on. This has been happening for awhile now. Would you guys have any ideas that I can fix the van to be reliable again?

Thank You
Old June 24th, 2013, 1:34 AM
CF Junior Member

It is a sensor doing that.
I believe it is either the camshaft sensor or the coolant sensor. Just do a bit of a search on that and you will find out what it is exactly. But it is 99% certainty a sensor. I have had the same issue with a bmw . Car runs fine in the morning and all day until you shut it off and she will no longer start till completely cooled off. It does get worse and will not start at all in the long run.....

Last edited by Sledgehammer; June 24th, 2013 at 1:36 AM.
Old July 12th, 2013, 7:37 PM
CF Junior Member

This could be a number of things, of which I have experienced all. Check for spark - if it's sparking, then obviously it's fuel. I've had issues with the fuel pump and with the main power lead for the injectors, so I'd check both. The power lead is in the connector on the left side of the intake manifold - it's the big pink wire on one of the corners (my connector itself was bad).

If there's no spark, then it could be the ignition module or crankshaft sensor. You can take off the ignition module and any auto parts store will test it for you. As to the crank sensor, you'll have to have a meter to test that.

Let us know what you find/found.
Old July 13th, 2013, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Guys
Here is an update on my dad's van. I replaced the cam sensor on the 5th of July. The van is starting every time now. Dad says it hasn't this good since he bought it. Now I just have to figure out why the gas gauge bounces around all the time.
Thank You for your help

Thank You
Old January 8th, 2015, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem with my 02 Venture Van...had the fuel pump wiring harness both under the van and under the drivers seat, cleaned twice. Saw multiple mechanics...it ran well for a couple weeks and same thing...will take me somewhere but won't start to come home...took it to the dealership...they advised change sensors changed 2 don't remember which.......worked again then quit.light on dash said security???. dealership.advised the change the sensor in fuel tank...was christmas, decided to wait til after the holiday...at this point have about $700.00 in trying to make it work...the battery died...seems it takes a huge battery that uses 700 cranks/whatever that means....anyway got the new battery (another $150.00) and it is starting immediately and strongly...still being careful about driving it...but so far for short trips anyway so good....don't know why all of those mechanics and all of those computer tests didn't go to the most simple thing first...