Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2014, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very angry

I am very unhappy to see this is a common problem that even Chevy doesn't seem to know how to fix. I had this happen to me yesterday and finally after 20 min I got it started. Well today I can't get it to fully turn on. I drive my 6 year old 6 month old and am pregnant around in this car and am scared to death even if I take it in it may not be fixed right and something happen to us. It's not right they are not fixing what seems to be a very very common problem. I don't have much money for the dealership to be like it's this O sorry it's this not that & $$$ later and not be fixed. This is crap :-(
Old November 18th, 2014, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

I am having the same issuse can anyone help with a good solution? I have a 2011 chevy cruze. I just spent over 2000 in repairs so its very sad and upsetting to have this now happend. All I read is how bad it is. With it being cold and 3 kids I am very worried it will break dwn on me .
Old November 18th, 2014, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Engine Power Reduced

So today I'm driving my car to work on a busy road and suddenly my car says engine power reduced. I had no where to pull over and my car only went 5-10mph. I put on my hazards and prayed. This is something that could easily cause the death of myself, people in my car and/or others on the road. What is Chevy doing to correct this issue??????????!!??
Old November 18th, 2014, 6:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ms.lca.damian
I am having the same issuse can anyone help with a good solution? I have a 2011 chevy cruze. I just spent over 2000 in repairs so its very sad and upsetting to have this now happend. All I read is how bad it is. With it being cold and 3 kids I am very worried it will break dwn on me .
Hi ms.lca.damian,

Could you please send us your VIN, mileage and contact information? We hate to hear you've encountered issues with your Cruze and recognize why you're upset. Please send us a private message if we can be of assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 20th, 2014, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Hello,

I am also having this issue on my 2012 Malibu.

After the first snow here in Indiana is when it started. I drove to work fine then I put the car in reverse to back into a spot when the service traction, service engine, and engine speed reduced message came on. While sitting in park my engine speed would ramp up to about 1.5k RPM and back down to idle speed. I turned it on during lunch to drive it to the dealer and the issue was not happening but the service engine light was on. My car only has 22K miles on it so I took it to the dealer for fixing. The dealer explained to me that my they replaced my throttle body because the butterfly valve wasn't opening all the way.

I thanked them and got back into the car. As soon as I accelerated out of the parking spot in reverse the issue happened again so I limped the car back into the dealership.

Thankfully the service people have been easy to deal with and put me in a rental but I have concerns for this issue being falsely diagnosed.

Hope this helps

Edit after fix:
In attempt to actually provide some constructive feedback here I'd like to say what the dealer did to fix my issue.

So after the issue occurred for the second time when driving out of the dealer's parking lot the service rep told me that they tightened some of the harness connectors. I'm not sure which spot in particular was the magic touch but the issue hasn't happened again for the entire winter.

For my situation, I'd say it's safe to conclude that replacing the throttle body did not help the issue due to the second occurrence.

It's crazy how many posts there are here now from this winter alone. Hope Chevy figures this out.

Last edited by Stuke; April 28th, 2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Updated with my fix
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jodette21
So today I'm driving my car to work on a busy road and suddenly my car says engine power reduced. I had no where to pull over and my car only went 5-10mph. I put on my hazards and prayed. This is something that could easily cause the death of myself, people in my car and/or others on the road. What is Chevy doing to correct this issue??????????!!??
No, the question is - what are you doing to correct the issue????????!!??
Old November 24th, 2014, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

After I got off the freeway my check engine light on my 2005 Cobalt came on and the message says "engine pwr reduced". I've also had an ongoing problem when the weather is cold with the car stalling when I engage the clutch and come to a stop. I had this stalling problem last year and had the throttle position sensor and pedal sensor replaced in January 2014 which fixed the problem for awhile. I don't understand why I should be having the same problems 10 months after repairs. Is Chevy looking into this problem?
Old December 4th, 2014, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default And yet another one with the same problem...

Well, my 20 year old son walks in this evening and tells me he had a very scary experience in his truck this afternoon...one in which he said he was thankful to be safe! He was driving at a highway speed (55-60) when the reduce engine power came on and he said he lost all control of the truck...unable to do ANYTHING with it...change gear to neutral, brake or anything! He said THANK GOD there was no one around him and he was at a place he could just let it slow down and coast off the road AND that there was enough of a shoulder to get out of traffic. Said it could have very easily been a terrible wreck. He pulled out his phone and googled the warning message and tried turning off for 10 minutes, then restarting. Thankfully, it worked and he was able to get home. But he HAS to drive it again tomorrow! He has a job and is a college student. Thankfully, he works at a tire and mechanic shop, and right next door to a Chevy dealership. He is going to have them look at it tomorrow, provided he can make it there safely. We bought this truck used, and he has only been driving it 11 mos. He has had a couple of other mechanical problems in this 11 months that we have already paid to fix, but this obviously is a Chevy defect that we, as consumers, should *not* be paying to fix! My husband has always been a die-hard Chevy guy. He and my 3 sons *each* have Chevy Silverados...yes, we own FOUR. But by gosh, if we have to pay to fix this defect or one of my family members (or someone innocent) is hurt because of it, they will be the last Chevys we buy. Unbelievable.
Old December 6th, 2014, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

I had the same "enigne power reduced" message come on but ONLY AFTER I HAD OPENED WITH THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT FUSE BLOCK AND FORGOT TO PUT THE COVER BACK ON.

What happened was that I was going to replace the battery and naturally checked under the hood to locate it. The logical first spot to locate it was under the plastic cover to the engine compartment fuse block. I took it off to my disappointment that it was the wrong location. In my hurry to change the battery, I did not secure the cover as I was taking longer than I thought to secure it back in place. After I had changed the battery, I forgot about having to secure the cover to the fuse block and drove the car in changing temperatures in DFW area for a few days until the light came on with the scary reduced power to the engine.

Now, it has been about 3 weeks since this happened and periodically the same scary reduced power issue occurs.

Point of my anecdote is that it could be an issue for some out there with the fuses under the Engine compartment fuse block. The temperatures here in DFW area change all the time and might have caused a moisture issue with fuses.
Old December 7th, 2014, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Power Engine Reduced!

This has happened to me on many occasions, one of the scariest is when I was on the freeway with my three children in the backseat. I had paid for it to get fixed and obviously it hasn't been fixed.

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!