Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CHMSL wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2014, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHMSL wont shut off

not sure why but the chmsl wont hut off , I pulled the fuse under the hood so it doesn't drain the battery. went to the dealer ... they said ahh change the brake switch, so I did but, the freaken brake switch has nothing at all to do with the chmsl. long story short has anyone come across this same issue ??
Old August 26th, 2014, 7:45 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
It is the Center High Mount Stop Light, so its possible the brake switch could have something to do with it, however I would think the other brake lights would also be on....
Have you checked out the brake switch to make sure its not the switch or the wiring?
The power to the lamp has to pass through the switch so the power is coming from somewhere...
Old August 26th, 2014, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

the break switch is fine , new one was installed ,someone told me it has something to do with the trailer package ??
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Do you have a brake controller installed or anything attached to the trailer harness?
Old August 26th, 2014, 1:57 PM
CF Active Member

Not to sound stupid or to make anyone feel that way but my truck has a dash override switch so that light can be turned on separately for loading and unloading of the truck in the dark. Is your truck equipped with this switch and is it in the off position?
Old August 26th, 2014, 2:25 PM
Administrator

Ah well now that brings things to light... are we talking about the Center High Mount Stop Light or the rear cargo lighting?

I have read this thread as the CHMSTL as in the brake lamp part, not the rear cargo light...
Old August 26th, 2014, 2:38 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
Ah well now that brings things to light... are we talking about the Center High Mount Stop Light or the rear cargo lighting?

I have read this thread as the CHMSTL as in the brake lamp part, not the rear cargo light...
I have to ask because I have come across a number of people who assume they are one in the same because they are all in the same place and from my experience share a fuse.
Old August 27th, 2014, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

its the Center High Mount Stop Light
Old August 27th, 2014, 7:26 AM
Administrator

Okay, so the high mount brake light is on all the time, but not the brake lights...
What happens if you press on the brakes do they all work?
Is it possible its the adjustment of the brake switch at the pedal, the high mount comes on first then the rear brake lights but the switch is adjusted just enough out of position so the high mount comes on but not so far that the rear brake lights come on?
Old August 28th, 2014, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

yes when I press the brake peddle they all come on , i'll check and see if the rod that pushes on the brake light switch is adjustable. 4 day weekend coming up so i'll have time to follow that circuit to the light and hopefully get to the bottom of this