Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

where is the oil drain plug on a 454?

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2011, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where is the oil drain plug on a 454?

i need to find out were it is so i can change the oil. im not a hundred percent sure were it is at.
Old August 31st, 2011, 2:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It's in the oil pan
Old September 1st, 2011, 9:25 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of an old line mechanic I worked with. When a guy asked him how to get a distributor cap off. His reply was "if you dont know how to get it off you got no business in there".
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:23 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH
Reminds me of an old line mechanic I worked with. When a guy asked him how to get a distributor cap off. His reply was "if you dont know how to get it off you got no business in there".
I thought about saying the same thing, but that wouldn't be nice.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 7:41 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was never known for being nice,I leave that to the politicos. Todays cars are unforgiving and if you screw up it can cost you hundreds or thousands. Without some basic skills you better leave the hood down.
Old September 4th, 2011, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

fine i guess il end up paying the labor at the shop to have it done. thought i could get some answers from someone with experience but obviously no matter what hobby i try to get into nobody wants to show me or tell me how to do anything thanks anyway
Old September 4th, 2011, 3:37 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by shipma
fine i guess il end up paying the labor at the shop to have it done. thought i could get some answers from someone with experience but obviously no matter what hobby i try to get into nobody wants to show me or tell me how to do anything thanks anyway
Look underneath the engine to see what looks like an oblong "pan". Towards the rear of the vehicle on the bottom of the pan, look for a plug. That will be what you need to remove with a catch pan underneath it. Be careful when reinstalling it as to not cross thread it, it is not common for that problem, but just make sure it starts in straight. I am not sure what side the filter is located, but it will be next to the pan, and probably (as your underneath looking up) to your left, and towards the back. I also suggest when replacing the filter (new) I add oil to it then screw it on, that saves time when you start it for the oil to fill up the filter, thus eliminating that small amount of possible engine wear. Also on the new filter after filling it with oil, smear some on the gasket (black rubber ring). Just tighten it hand tight. Check for leaks after you add the correct amount of oil to it. Anything else?

Last edited by kevinkpk; September 4th, 2011 at 3:40 PM.
Old September 4th, 2011, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

its like this, depends on year of motor or what oil pan, usually in the pan on right side 9passenger side] of oil pan, right in fron of transmission.
Oil filter is located on drivers side.