Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

I need help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2012, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help!!!!!

Come on guys! I got a motor lined up so I just need some info. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. So the other day we weredriving about 65-70 mph and my fiance went to downshift to pass someone and went from 5th to 2nd gear on accident. The motor revved really high and started making a really bad knocking noise. When we got home, I pulled the valve cover, pulled the push rods to see if maybe we bent one but when I rolled them on a flat surface they looked ok. So then I thought maybe a collapsed lifter. So put everything back together, started it, lifted the valve cover but didn't notice any of the lifters moving any different than the others. So worst case scenario I'll have to replace the motor again. If I replace it, what motors out of other cav's, sunfires, or even s10's will work?

Last edited by brianpowers80; December 16th, 2012 at 6:26 PM.
Old December 16th, 2012, 5:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by brianpowers80
Come on guys! I got a motor lined up so I just need some info. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. So the other day we were driving about 65-70 mph and my fiance went to downshift to pass someone and went from 5th to 2nd gear on accident. The motor revved really high and started making a really bad knocking noise. When we got home, I pulled the valve cover, pulled the push rods to see if maybe we bent one but when I rolled them on a flat surface they looked ok. So then I thought maybe a collapsed lifter. So put everything back together, started it, lifted the valve cover but didn't notice any of the lifters moving any different than the others. So worst case scenario I'll have to replace the motor again. If I replace it, what motors out of other cav's, sunfires, or even s10's will work?
shew.....
Old December 16th, 2012, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

That doesn't help me out at all Kevin. LOL
Old December 16th, 2012, 7:30 PM
CF Monarch

Read your post, that dosen't help me to help you
Old December 16th, 2012, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

I got rid of the color stuff that was in there. That happened when I tried to copy and paste it. Does it read any better now?
Old December 16th, 2012, 8:08 PM
CF Monarch

Brian, repost it
Old December 16th, 2012, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Okay.
Old December 16th, 2012, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default I need help!!

OK so this what happened. We were driving home the other day running about 65-70 mph, and my fiance went to downshift to pass someone and went from 5th to 2nd on accident. The motor revved really high and after I shifted in into 4th for her, it started making a really bad knocking noise. When we got home I pulled the valve cover and pulled the push rods to see if they were bent at all. I took them and rolled them on a flat surface and they looked fine. Then I was told something about it could be a collapsed lifter. I put everything back together, started the car, and lifted the valve cover so I could see the rocker arms and the valve springs and I didn't see any of the lifters doing anything out of the ordinary. So worst case scenario I'll have to replace the motor again and was wondering what motors from cavs, sunfires, or s10's will work in my car?
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:19 AM
CF Active Member

On the bright side, My girlfriend backed my Caprice into my Corvette. A two for one. I married her and we have been happy for 32 years. Good luck