Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

removing unwanted scratches?

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2009, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing unwanted scratches?

Hi all,
It seems as though no matter how far away I park from campus, or anywhere for that matter, I see a new scratch on my BLACK cavalier. I was wondering if anybody knows the best way to get rid of them without having to get a paint job? Thanks!
Old April 13th, 2009, 8:34 PM
CF Active Member

Just wondering, what kind of scratches are not unwanted scratches?
There is touch up paint you can buy from Wal Mart or AutoZone or any other auto parts store which is brand specific. My Wal Mart has a book where you can look up your specific car.

You can also try to get them buffed out at a auto detailing place, last time I went to get my car wash they tried to sell me a deal where they would make give my car a "mirror shine" for about sixty bucks. They were telling me how they could make scratches go away.

Hope I helped.
Old April 13th, 2009, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Red face

Well, technically all scratches are unwanted scratches lol, but they're really just a couple small random scratches on the front driver and passenger side doors and front bumper that just annoy me and I would just love to be removed (without taking off paint). I try and take care of my car so much and it doesn't show, especially with my dad. He thinks I could care less about the scratches, but he doesn't understand that they bother me more than he'll ever know, primarily because I don't have control over who touches my car when I'm not around.

But thanks for the advice, it def helped.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Try Meguiars Scratch-X.

BTW, You'll have to shake the hell of it before you use it.

Nu-Finish scratch and swirl remover is pretty good also, but it only gets little hairline scratches.
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

If the scratch is not all the way through the paint, you can wet sand it with 3000 grit wet sand paper and then polish it, but if the color is gone or down to primer or bare metal, you will need to touch it up. Some shops can airbrush it in for you and make it look fine.