Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Major problems with my 2011 Cruze

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2018, 3:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Samantha Hope

My 2011 Chevy Cruze has been a headache from the beginning. I have replaced the water pump 3 times, the valve cover twice, the air conditioner, a ton of recalls and many many other things. I’m at a loss.
Were I you, I'd sell it ASAP and buy a Malibu. Its a MUCH better vehicle then the Cruze ever was. I know since I own a Malibu. Its worth the money, trust me on this.
Old July 19th, 2018, 6:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Samantha Hope

My 2011 Chevy Cruze has been a headache from the beginning. I have replaced the water pump 3 times, the valve cover twice, the air conditioner, a ton of recalls and many many other things. I’m at a loss.
You can blame the politicians in Washington, DC for lots of these issues. All the vehicle manufacturers are having to squeeze every drop of fuel out of their vehicles to meet the CAFE fuel mileage standards. Chevrolet is not the only automobile company that is having issues with their vehicles. Never was a perfect car, never will be.
Old July 13th, 2019, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pos car!!!!!

I bought my 2011 Cruze in 2013 with approximately 24,0000 miles on it. Everything was going perfectly until 2015 when I had to have my transmission replaced. I was over my warranty by ONE month. I had to have my transmission rebuilt and the mechanic told me that this was a known issue with Chevrolet. I know for a fact that other people in my community had the same problem as well. But no recall for the transmission.

Now I have a coolant leak that started in 2017 that no one can figure out but they believe me that it's happening. My thermostat has been replaced twice so far and I'm pretty sure I have to take it for a third soon. This is within a 1 1/2 years. So every six months it gets replaced. I think that the coolant leak and my thermostat breaking are not a coincidence. My fan also runs constantly, it sounds like it's going to take off on it's own. Chevy doesn't care about the customer. And I'm stuck with this crap for god only knows how many years until I can buy a Ford. I am super frustrated with no money to do anything else.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default The 2016 model is just the same

Google brought me here after searching the error codes for my 2016 cruze we just purchased from a used dealership. I regret this purchase SO MUCH. I will be getting rid of it as the repairs are getting near what I paid for the car
Old August 17th, 2020, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default The car is not made for longevity.

Anyone who owns a 1st generation cruze needs to understand this car was built for economy and efficiency.

GM is to blame because they cheaped out on parts and made the consumer feel the car was reliable. They are using a downsized engine with high compression and made it forced induction. They used an aluminum head and made the operating temp 220 degrees... for efficiency. Vehicles the past 60 years have never ran that hot or was under the strain of forcing a tiny engine to do more work.

Not only did they do this, but then they pressurized the cooling system to 20 psi instead of 15. Instead of using high quality parts, they used plastic in the cooling system. Bravo GM. On top of this, they told the consumer to use semi synthetic oil with increased increments, making the car more appealing. Less maintenance, great fuel economy.

GM knew damn well this car didn't need less maintenance, but it would require more maintenance. If they weren't aware of this, they need new engineers.

They built a fuel efficient vehicle that would survive the warranty period. In fact, they had so many problems, they had numerous recalls and even changed the maintenance schedule reducing the oil change intervals and went to full synthetic... on top of that, they reduced the powertrain warranty from 5 100k miles to 60k.

The 2nd generation, they brought the operating temperature down 30 degrees and tried to fix some of the issues, but it took them almost 6 years and they lost the market.

Everything in that engine compartment was at the edge of what it could handle.

Don't get me started on their PCV design on top of that.

on top of the additional operating temp, they used O-rings on critical parts that see extreme heat cycles. I use to think chevy and reliability. Now it's all about chevy and saving money. They are building cheap throw away vehicles.

Last edited by Rick Schindler; August 17th, 2020 at 4:00 PM.
Old August 17th, 2020, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

I can tell you now, if your car is acting up. Hesitation, misfire, sputtering, tranny not shifting right etc..

It's the cooling system. They used a dummy temp gauge that doesn't alert the driver until it is too late and the vehicle is already overheating and you'll need to scrap it. The cruze will have a slight leak and introduce air pockets in the system.. it will create hot spots and cause detonation, cavitation and a whole slew of problems and the car will not alert you until it's cooked.. crispy.. on the inside

I find it funny a vehicle can perform in this way and the computer doesn't alert the driver. I've seen many blown head gaskets, cracked blocks . Warped heads.. had pistons and the driver never had a check engine light.

It's not because GM was forced to build it this way. I mean, yes in a way, but they also wanted to make huge profit on it also... they didn't look after the consumer and looked after their profit when they built this.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=tymr287;243245]Basically from what I just read about this DTC it could be your cooling fan, radiator coolant sensor, or the engine coolant thermostat heater is bad. The ECM is detecting the difference between the RCT sensor and the ECT sensor is greater than 30°C (68°F) when the ECT sensor is warmer than 117°C (242°F).[/QUOTE.

Yes, I currently have the same issue
codes P00B7 and P2135
engine Power is Reduced going 2 miles an hour.
Almost a year ago i was also having turbo problems which had to be fixed about 3 times. I've had nothing but problems and its always been in the repair shop since the day i got it. Mine also comes with very loud knocking noise suddle squeaking noise when the hood is close. I had it looked at by a mechanic a couple days ago, unfortunately he says the engine could lock at any time according to what my car is doing.

Old January 3rd, 2021, 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=tymr287;243245]Basically from what I just read about this DTC it could be your cooling fan, radiator coolant sensor, or the engine coolant thermostat heater is bad. The ECM is detecting the difference between the RCT sensor and the ECT sensor is greater than 30°C (68°F) when the ECT sensor is warmer than 117°C (242°F).[/QUOTE.

Yes, I currently have the same issue
codes P00B7 and P2135
engine Power is Reduced going 2 miles an hour.
Almost a year ago i was also having turbo problems which had to be fixed about 3 times. I've had nothing but problems and its always been in the repair shop since the day i got it. Mine also comes with very loud knocking noise suddle squeaking noise when the hood is close. I had it looked at by a mechanic a couple days ago, unfortunately he says the engine could lock at any time according to what my car is doing.

Old January 23rd, 2021, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Were I you, I'd sell it ASAP and buy a Malibu. Its a MUCH better vehicle then the Cruze ever was. I know since I own a Malibu.Its worth the money, trust me on this.
I strongly disagree. much better than cruize malibu. I recommend you to do a price performance research.