Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Transfer case issue 2011 awd Equinox 2.4

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2020, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transfer case issue 2011 awd Equinox 2.4

Guys, need help. New to the forum and wo seeing what would be better and how much should I spend in this.

I am at my local GMC dealer and checking my car, after they checked they noise coming from the front, they say it is the transfer case, car is 93K on it and after some recalls 1.- Cat converter replaces 2 months ago and Power steering as well both under warranty this has. Me.

8 K miles ago I did also replaced the timing belt due (no special coverage and GM did not help at all).
Should I get rid of the car? Is it about time?

He much should I expect to spend on this? Thanks
Old January 7th, 2020, 1:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by gio dan
Guys, need help. New to the forum and wo seeing what would be better and how much should I spend in this.

I am at my local GMC dealer and checking my car, after they checked they noise coming from the front, they say it is the transfer case, car is 93K on it and after some recalls 1.- Cat converter replaces 2 months ago and Power steering as well both under warranty this has. Me.

8 K miles ago I did also replaced the timing belt due (no special coverage and GM did not help at all).
Should I get rid of the car? Is it about time?

He much should I expect to spend on this? Thanks
Ask the service manager what the techs think is wrong with the transfer case. If serviced properly it ought to last much longer then 93K..Then get a second opinion. Trust no one in any dealership nor an independent shop. It's all about the money.
The following users liked this post:
gio dan (January 7th, 2020)
Old January 7th, 2020, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Ask the service manager what the techs think is wrong with the transfer case. If serviced properly it ought to last much longer then 93K..Then get a second opinion. Trust no one in any dealership nor an independent shop. It's all about the money.
Thanks a lot, will double check. Problem is I do not really have a reliable shop or mechanic, will get a second opinion though.
Old January 10th, 2020, 3:14 AM
CF Monarch

Thanks a lot, will double check. Problem is I do not really have a reliable shop or mechanic, will get a second opinion though.
Try YELP for a good shop. I have a great shop for things I don't have the time to repair. They even have an older guy to take you home, if you have a second vehicle as I do, m
my K-1500. It's never even seen a shop yet.
gio dan (January 10th, 2020)
Old January 13th, 2020, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default $3690 usd @ My local GMC

Try YELP for a good shop. I have a great shop for things I don't have the time to repair. They even have an older guy to take you home, if you have a second vehicle as I do, m
my K-1500. It's never even seen a shop yet.
I went to GMC and they say $3690 to replace transfer case !!! Then I went to my trusty local shop and he told me I need t go to a Tranny shop and they will charge around $3000.

Bottom line, when he checked he found metal on the transfer case, suggestions?

I guess it is time to trade it in right?

Old January 22nd, 2020, 12:13 AM
CF Monarch

I went to GMC and they say $3690 to replace transfer case !!! Then I went to my trusty local shop and he told me I need t go to a Tranny shop and they will charge around $3000.

Bottom line, when he checked he found metal on the transfer case, suggestions?

I guess it is time to trade it in right?
Actually your transfer case is not in the front of the vehicle. It's located behind the transmission, so I question the idea that it's your transfer case. And if the fluid has never been changed you are going to have some metal from the break-in period of the vehicle. Might more likely be your front differential that is the issue here, and not the T/C.
gio dan (January 22nd, 2020)
Old January 22nd, 2020, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Actually your transfer case is not in the front of the vehicle. It's located behind the transmission, so I question the idea that it's your transfer case. And if the fluid has never been changed you are going to have some metal from the break-in period of the vehicle. Might more likely be your front differential that is the issue here, and not the T/C.
Thanks for the tip, will go a tranny shop and get a third opinion. Thanks a lot !!!

oilcanhenry (January 23rd, 2020)
Old January 24th, 2020, 6:24 PM
CF Monarch

Thanks for the tip, will go a tranny shop and get a third opinion. Thanks a lot !!!
No problemo. I hope it helps. BTW, use a good synchromesh fluid in your T/C. ATF and gear oil are not the proper fluids.