Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Electrical Problem totally stumped

Old October 18th, 2014, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical Problem totally stumped

Hi, this is my first post and I am in need of serious help.

I have a '78 Chevy Scottsdale K10 4x4 with a 350.

Truck recently died on me while driving, I put a new fuel pump on it. Still won’t start, bowls in the carb are dry so my dad was filling them with gas thinking it could be vapor locked. The last time he did it (did it at least 6-8 times total) the carb caught fire but we got it put out. Anyway the truck seemed fine but when we went to check and make sure it would still at least turn over the starter solenoid case broke (starter still had power & spun). We put a new starter on it yesterday but had absolutely no power inside the cab or to the ignition. Truck wouldn’t turn over, no buzzing, no radio, lights, etc. We tested the battery and the starter, both were fine.
What could the problem be? Possibly a fusible link? But the old starter still had power and so did the cab before we took it off, and we put the new starter on the exact same way.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:40 AM
CF Monarch

Received 335 Likes on 316 Posts

Where the battery cable hooks up to the starter there is sometimes a second smaller cable that goes to the same terminal. This is power to everything. If your truck has this cable make sure it is connected.