Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2006 Impala battery drain

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2012, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Impala battery drain

I have a 2006 Impala that has a battery drain issue.I have
narrowed it down to 10 amp display fuse under the hood.
With fuse in there is a 2 amp drain.Take the fuse out it drop
to almost 0 amp drain.We have had a couple of repairs made
to car in the last month and this issue did not happen til those
repairs were made.Not sure if the repairs made would have anything
to do with it but we had a new gas pedal sensor installed and thottle sensor
on motor changed.What could possibly cause the 2 amp drain on display?Thanks in advance for any help!
Old June 16th, 2012, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

that fuse powers the data link connector, remote control door lock receiver, instrument panel cluster and hvac control module.

start unpluging modules next I guess.

The rcdlr is located under the instrument panel upper trim panel.

Last edited by tech2; June 16th, 2012 at 8:50 PM.
Old November 20th, 2012, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

My wifes grandmother has a 2006 Impala LT and she's having a battery issue, actually she has been having an issue the past few years. If the car sits for a week, the battery will be dead. I have read some things online about modules and BCMs causing a draw and draining the battery. Have any of you guys gotten your issue straightened out?
Old November 20th, 2012, 3:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What is the condition/age of the battery?
Old November 21st, 2012, 6:04 AM
CF Beginner

Her battery is original but she has had this draining issues issue for a few years and she's been told by her local mechanic, not a dealer service dept, that "this car has a lot of stuff on it and it will draw the battery right down if you're not driving it" . So I guess its normal for a $33000 car to go dead after sitting in your garage for five to seven days without being started? Lol
Old November 21st, 2012, 7:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Her battery is 7 years old.......
Old November 21st, 2012, 9:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 99monguse,

I’m sorry to hear about the battery issues with your wife’s grandmother’s Impala. This may be related to a connection or corrosion issue. “kevinkpk” also offers another possibility.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis and repair option(s). They will be able to offer additional assistance after inspecting the vehicle.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 21st, 2012, 6:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by 99monguse
Her battery is original but she has had this draining issues issue for a few years and she's been told by her local mechanic, not a dealer service dept, that "this car has a lot of stuff on it and it will draw the battery right down if you're not driving it" . So I guess its normal for a $33000 car to go dead after sitting in your garage for five to seven days without being started? Lol
+1. yep. get the battery tested.

if its good, has a parastic draw test done find out if there is a draw present.

ensure grandma removes the key from the ignition cylinder when parked. That will cause modules to not go into sleep state and create added draw on the battery.