K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

1979 k5 blazer: Any engine removal tips??

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1979 k5 blazer: Any engine removal tips??

Just wondering if there were any "tips" I might need to remove my sbc 350 from my 79 k5 with th350/np 203. I want to remove only the engine. So far all accesories are off, intake manifold, distributor, radiator ect... Other than just needing to undo the motor mount bolts on both sides and exhaust manifolds, how many bolts am I needing to unbolt from the block to the bell housing and do I need to undo any bolts on the flex plate to the torque converter or can I just pull out the engine with the flex plate and torque converter on?? Sorry but I am a complete newb to the older domestic rigs. I just really want to see this old beast running again. Thank you guys in advance.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 1:58 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are 6 bolts on the bellhousine, 2 on each side, and 1 more on each side halfway up. there are 3 bolts on the flexplate some have nuts and are easy, and some have just bolts and you need to hold the flexplate i use a long strong screwdriver wedged between the tourque converter in 1 of the flexplate holes to stop the engine from turning (crude as hell, i know but it works) and not which way the engine mount bolts go through, they are faced opposite, and it is like that so they dont back off from the tourque or the engine.
hope this helps you
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2wd-K5
there are 6 bolts on the bellhousine, 2 on each side, and 1 more on each side halfway up. there are 3 bolts on the flexplate some have nuts and are easy, and some have just bolts and you need to hold the flexplate i use a long strong screwdriver wedged between the tourque converter in 1 of the flexplate holes to stop the engine from turning (crude as hell, i know but it works) and not which way the engine mount bolts go through, they are faced opposite, and it is like that so they dont back off from the tourque or the engine.
hope this helps you
Thank you for the info. I'm gona try first thing in the morning as long I dont get ambushed by the ants again.