Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2003 Malibu problems

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
ed
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Malibu problems

Issue 1) when moving along very slowly-I get a squeak when turning right ,from the suspension or brakes?
2) after driving for awhile the brakes sound springy as I depress the pedal
3) is there a fix for a window that rattles when the door is shut and the window is down,I checked that all the bolts that hold the regulator to the door are tight.

Thanks, in advance
Old August 6th, 2006, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2003 Malibu problems

The problem on #2 is most likely a loose caliper. A common problem on any GM car is that the bolts that hold the calipers in place tend to strip or loosen with time, therefore needing replacement. Take the wheel off and check out the bolts on the caliper
Old August 16th, 2006, 1:08 AM
CF Junior Member

#2 your ride probably has broken rear springs

#3 the frame holding the windows could be loose.
Old August 16th, 2006, 4:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't claim to know a whole lot about GM cars but some of the answers some of you people give other members is just funny.

Broken rear springs? lol
Loose caliper bolts? All the new GM cars/trucks come wtih thread locker on the caliper bolts.

If you don't know what your talking about then don't post. And don't go thinking that since it happened to you once or it happened to your buddy then it must happen to all of them is just silly also.

As for the guy who posted the thread we need some more info.

Like problem number 1 is making the noise at a slow speed or a pretty fast speed? Is it a loud noise. Does it only do it when you apply the brakes or will it do it without?

For problem number 2 what do you mean sound springy. I have never heard anything sound springy. Does the noise come from inside or outside. Fast or slow speed.

As for the window rattling when its down their might not be much you can do because when the window is down their isn't much holding the top of the window to keep it from moving around. You could find you some adhesive foam that is sticky on one side and see if that can keep it from rattling around.
Old August 21st, 2006, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same exact problem with the noise when turning the wheels at a slow speed. The first repair shop I went to said it was my struts but the second one said nothing was wrong.

I've seen various issues such as brake caliphers, struts, rust, brakes, etc. that could be causing the problem. I've even had someone tell me the car could be out of alignment and that could be causing the noise. My car does need an alignment but I don't think that is causing the problem.

This noise is driving me nuts!!!!
Old August 21st, 2006, 5:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, its going to be tough to figure out a squeek or noise without actually being at the car.

Does it do it at certain speeds? Only when you apply the brakes? What about in park and just turning the steering wheel from lock to lock? I'll try and help as much as possible but it's going to be tough.
Old August 21st, 2006, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

I'm glad it's not just me. I have a 2005 Malibu and this happens to me sometimes when I make a hard right. I seriously don't think there's a problem. The dealership I bought it from is fairly reputable and I doubt they'd want my death on their hands.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

I have to be going no more than 10 miles per hour. It only happens when you are applying the brakes.

If the car is in park you can turn the steering wheel to each side and sometimes hear it. It's only done that once or twice.

My husband has tried pushing up and down on the car over the wheels and can get the noise to replicate so he is thinking it may be the struts. However, the car rides smooth and does not creak over bumps.

Thanks for any adivce!!
Old August 23rd, 2006, 9:39 PM
CF Senior Member

kinicto if your husband can get it to replicate by pushing the car down it should be something in the suspension. The better question is what. That could be anything from shocks, to the sway bar, to the bushing that hold the a-frames to the frame. I would think it would be the same on the others as they all seem to be very new and all sound very similar. I am a little lost as to why it will only do it when you are driving if you hit the brakes, I will also add if it isn't very loud you may not hear it a higher speeds, although 15 is pretty slow and you should still hear it around 20 to 25. If it is only on the right side (I assume) and only when you turn right that would almost have to be a bad design on something, and may require a new part to stop it. If a better one has been made.
If it is a bushing you can spend a lot of money trying to fix it if you cannot tell what it is. My 91 Sonoma knocks bad when I turn to the right, and so far I have put on all new ball joint, tire rod ends/connecting link, and sway bar bushings. It still does it.
It may be one of those things that "nothing is wrong" and the car may be fine but that won't go away until a new better part is made.
Old August 28th, 2006, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

I think we may have solved the problem. The repair shop I took it to last week was absolutely positive my problem was the strut spring seat. We're going to give this a try.

I'll post when we find out it worked or didn't.