Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2012 (4cyl) Malibu transmission problem!

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2012, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Malibu back, it's still doing the same thing. Not happy at all. The only change I seen to my vehicle was the gas needle and the receipts for food they left in it. Nothing else changed. It transmisson "hit" so hard on me one time, I looked back to see if I was hit from behind. This is sad and I'm scared to go on the interstate by myself.
Old October 9th, 2012, 2:20 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sushstewart14
Same issue here. Brought it to dealer and they acted like I was nuts or something. Waiting for gm customer service to call me back today about the issue. Looks like the only way to get something figured out is to get gm involved. My first chevy i ever owned (avalanche) was a nightmare, so going from that mess to a BRAND NEW CAR with tranny issues won't fly with me.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> sushstewart14,

Please keep us posted. If you would like, PM me your SR# and I will look into your case for additional information for you.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Transmission and other issues 2012 Malibu LT2

I have loved my 2012 Malibu until now. It has 23k miles and the transmission is really acting up. When i am accelerating going up hill the thing shimmy's really bad in second gear. When going down a slight hill it will rev to 6k RPM's before sifting from 2nd to 3rd. When cruising at 50mph and slowing down or stopping it shifts really hard from 5th to 4th. I had it in the shop and was told we do not see anything wrong. It seems that once it has been up to interstate speeds that it will not have any issues shifting. I am to go back again Wednesday to have a service person ride with me.

Also now my drivers seat back has come off, the passanger seat is squeaking, the material on both front seats has come lose and the plastic thing on the windsheild that holds the cables from the mirror to the roof fell off in my lap.
Old May 13th, 2013, 2:36 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi cclayton2804,

So sorry to hear you've been dealing with these issues with your Malibu. That is very strange. Please keep us updated on your second visit with the dealer. Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Regards

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 2nd, 2013, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Hi everyone. So I have the exact same "problem." shifting gears while at city speeds feels clunky and slow. Also, when hitting 60 kmph then releasing the gas and coasting to say 55, then applying the gas again creates a violent jerk of the whole car. I've only owned this used car for around 2 weeks now.

I took it to the dealership service centre since it is still on warranty. They did a test drive and reported no problem. There were also no codes showing.

Their statement to me was that I'm not used to the 6 speed automatic transmission and that I just need to get used to it. Also, the jerk at 60 that they DIDN'T feel is likely the torque converter kicking in and that it's totally normal.

I love everything else about the car. I've read reviews online that say the shifting is smooth. I really feel like an idiot here. There is apparently nothing wrong, but it is just not smooth. Comparing the drive to my 2005 Malibu is like night and day. I can hardly tell the shift between gears with the 05'.

Anyway, there is my story. I guess I'm stuck with a car I simply don't like the feel of driving.
Old August 5th, 2013, 4:58 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Your vehicle is under warranty period so you must go to the chevy dealer to fix the issue and what they do for the solution of the problem; please keep posted here.
Old August 10th, 2013, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Wow I am glad I googled this problem. My fiancé owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu 2.4. We are experiencing the exact same problem! We just had it at the dealer for an engine noise that was not replicated by them and a smell. Well the smell was a plastic bag melted to the exhaust pipe. But driving home she observed this engine noise again. We will be calling our dealer Monday morning again to try again to rectify this. I'm not going to bash Chevy over this. Overall she loves the car but it is her mom mobile and we need it safe. The one complaint I do have is the lack of respect for female customers at Hertrich of Denton, MD location! It's caused us to go to their new Easton store which have been awesome! Also I have to make the phone calls and do the talking because she doesn't wanna be laughed at again.
Old August 10th, 2013, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EasternShoreMalibu
Wow I am glad I googled this problem. My fiancé owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu 2.4. We are experiencing the exact same problem! We just had it at the dealer for an engine noise that was not replicated by them and a smell. Well the smell was a plastic bag melted to the exhaust pipe. But driving home she observed this engine noise again. We will be calling our dealer Monday morning again to try again to rectify this. I'm not going to bash Chevy over this. Overall she loves the car but it is her mom mobile and we need it safe. The one complaint I do have is the lack of respect for female customers at Hertrich of Denton, MD location! It's caused us to go to their new Easton store which have been awesome! Also I have to make the phone calls and do the talking because she doesn't wanna be laughed at again.
I should also mention this vehicle has just over 80K miles.
Old August 10th, 2013, 9:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

when you take your car in to address this issue; insist on test driving with the shop foreman. You drive your car; as you know what to do to make the problem happen, when it occurs, point it out to them each time. They will then be able to recreate the conditions needed to make the problem happen so they can determine what the problem is.

its frustrating on the technicians side when we get a vague description on what the problem is and when it occurs.
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by EasternShoreMalibu
Hello EasternShoreMalibu,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great way to interact with other Chevy vehicle owners. I apologize your fiancé is experiencing a transmission shifting issue. I see you are working with a dealership to help resolve this issue. I am sorry you had a bad experience with the first dealer you were working with but am glad to hear you have found a new one that has been accommodating for you both. Please let us know if you would like our help throughout his process. We are here to assist our customers and help with concerns and questions. We are able to be reached by private message, or via Email at socialmedia@gm.com if you are unable to contact us privately. If you reach out to us, please include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and name and location of the dealership you are currently working with. We look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Amber N.)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2012 (4cyl) Malibu transmission problem!