Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2012 (4cyl) Malibu transmission problem!

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2014, 1:29 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Nate,

I apologize that you are experiencing these concerns with your Malibu. If you would like me to look into this further, I would be happy to assist. Send me over a PM with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and a preferred dealership? Hopefully we can discuss this further, and find a resolution!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 3rd, 2016, 8:45 PM
Cal
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUchamp31
I would like to know if anyone is having these issues with their 2012 Malibu? HORRIBLE SHIFTING!! shifting from 1st - 2nd is a hard shift and 2nd - 3rd isn't a whole lot better. When it down shifts while coming to a stop it again shifts hard and sometimes abruptly.

I love the car and the ride itself, but this transmission problem on a brand new car is not going to fly with me. Going from my wife's 2012 Ford Fusion to my 2012 Malibu is like night and day. Fusion has more spunk (4cyl) and the shifting is extremely smooth barely even noticable.

Any suggestions are welcome! I am not very happy about this issue especially with less than 2000 miles on the car.

Thanks everyone!
I have a 2012 Malibu and my tranny just went for a **** it's o my 145000 kms and this thing is maticulously taken care of never ridden hard and I'm just wondering how this is possible like I love this car it's super reliable up until now it won't shift out of first anymore so now I have to have my trannh redone or replaced I'm just sad cuz otherwise it's an AWSOME car
Old October 15th, 2016, 4:53 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 2001 malibu 3100 and it is idling up and down in overdrive like its kickin down then back in,,, do u think in transmission or possibly torque converter,,,, i know it needs a filter and fluids changed but i doubt that will solve the issue
Old November 5th, 2017, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

I am the original owner of a 2012 Malibu LT 4cyl with the Allstar Package.
The car has just over 18,000 miles as I live and work in the same town.

The 4 issues I’ve encountered with is car:

1) The warning chimes stopped working. I replaced the front speakers with Kenwoods because I noticed that the drivers side speaker was working periodically. I feel that I got lucky that the new speakers was the fix.

2) Moisture in both headlamps. Brought the car to the dealership, Reedman-Toll, in Lancaster, PA for this issue. They only replaced the passenger side headlamp because they told me that GM requires a certain percentage of moisture in a headlamp to justify replacing it. To this day, the drivers side headlamp lens continues to have moisture in it after it rains or I wash my car. This makes the front of my car look like crap.

3) I noticed that when I changed my oil, the oil pan was completely covered with an oil film. This was another issue I brought to Reedman-Toll for repair. They replaced a shaft seal to remedy the problem but it doesn’t appear that it fixed it. I just changed my oil yesterday and the oil pan is still wet with an oil leak. I’d guess the oil pan bolts need to be retorqued or the pan gasket needs to be replaced.

4). The most major issue: Transmission shifts like crap. 1st to 2nd shifts hard very regurlarly... 2nd to 3rd isn’t much better. When slowing down to a red light that turns green before you stop, you have to be very gentle on the throttle or it’s going to shift hard into the gear that it wants to go in. Horrible. This was brought to Reedman-Toll and the shop manager went for a ride with me. His solution was telling me that “That’s how they all shift... there are many Malibu’s out there with many miles on them that shift like yours.” Really???

Its dissapointing to me that I have to live with these issues. I’ve purchased and driven nothing but GMs since I started driving.

Unless Chevy can come up with a solution for my erratic transmission and engine oil leak, I’ll have to look into other manufactures for my next vehicle. That’s a shame because I get complements on my Crystal Red Tintcoat Malibu all of the time.
Old June 12th, 2018, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 transmission issues as well

Its extremely frustrating as mine has been in dealer since last Thursday. they can’t get it to produce a code but the tech has had it recreated. today they tried again but couldn’t get it to do it again. My warranty is up soon and I’m freaking out that this isn’t gonna be taken care of....