Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2012 (4cyl) Malibu transmission problem!

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2013, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Transmission Problem

I too am having the same problem. The dealer couldn't duplicate the delay I was trying to explain to them. That was back in March 2013, it's now getting cold again and I am having the same issue. I also have a strange grinding noise in the front end when I come to a stop. Brake pads are fine and the "reasoning" I am given is that my car is dirty and there is a lot of dust in there. Seems like a load of garbage to me...
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if your getting noises when you apply the brakes...99% of the time, its from your brakes.

ever do a brake service? It should be done yearly especially if you live in the rust belt. It will extend the life of your brakes and help prevent the noises your getting now.

I don't know what you do for a living but imagine someone hiring you to do a job. You tell them what needs to be done, and although they have no experience, they scoff at your recommendations. sound about right?
Old November 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Tanya Brow,

I am sorry to hear you hare having this concern. Please let me know if you would like me to reach out to your dealership. You can private message me your name, VIN, address, phone number, and dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 30th, 2013, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, I am having the same problem with my 2012 Chevrolet Malibu, also a 2.4L. I had my husband take it to the dealership today, and they told him that's just how the 6 speed automatics are. I don't buy that, my 14 year old Montana shifts better than my Malibu. We are just past our 300 mile exchange policy and I am going to be upset if I have a new car that shifts that hard. It only seems to do it in lower gears, especially when it shifts down, or from first to second. I noticed this on my way home from the dealership just after buying the car, but when I brought it back like they said, they wouldn't look at it and had me book an appointment. The dealership is over 60 miles away, so needless to say bringing it back to the dealership today pushed me over the 300 mile certified exchange. What do I do?
Old December 30th, 2013, 8:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Next time your at a dealer test drive another car the exact same model, trans and engine options. see if that car shifts differently. If its the same, its a characteristic of the trans. If its different you have a problem.
Old May 10th, 2014, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default gm isuue

I have the same issue. My friend has an 09 and the trans went out at 70000k. The gm cognition said they should do a recall because that's all he ever fixes. How do I have them fix it without saying it don't happen when its at the dealer. It also has an erratic idle randomly when at a stop
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 chevy malibu transmission

I think my 2012 chevy malibu transmission is slipping. It shifts hard, and the car is acting funny.. It's not in the recall..
Old June 5th, 2014, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue with transmission

I have a Malibu 2012, I got it brand new, and the shifting its horrible. I had to renew my driver license and had to do driving test, the guy from DMV actually mentioned the acceleration problem during the test. I took twice already to the dealership, and I was told that that's the way the Malibu was manufactured.
I gave up on it.
Old June 5th, 2014, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue with Breaks

Originally Posted by Tanya Brow
I too am having the same problem. The dealer couldn't duplicate the delay I was trying to explain to them. That was back in March 2013, it's now getting cold again and I am having the same issue. I also have a strange grinding noise in the front end when I come to a stop. Brake pads are fine and the "reasoning" I am given is that my car is dirty and there is a lot of dust in there. Seems like a load of garbage to me...
Tanya! I had the same issue! I replaced the breaks not even 30,000miles on my car. Brand new breaks and pads, it makes the most squishy noise ever!
Old June 9th, 2014, 12:26 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2012 Malibu LT, and I'm experiencing the same problems you're having. I purchased this vehicle used with around 37,000 miles on it about 6 months ago.

The shifting on this vehicle scares me. I'd say 9 times out of 10, it shifts extremely hard, as if it can't decide if it wants to shift or not. After a split second it just "clunks" into the next gear, and I can feel it throughout the entire car. It does the same thing when I downshift as well, especially from 3rd to 2nd gear. It's almost like the transmission can't decide weather to shift or not.

I've taken my car to the dealer twice. Once was maybe 3 months ago. They reset the computer and told me if it didn't make a difference to come back. It seemed like it made a difference, but after a week or so I was facing the same problem.

I haven't had until this last week to take it back to the dealer. They couldn't duplicate the problem so they just returned the car to me. I'm getting very annoyed with this issue!

I love the car, it rides great and it's extremely comfortable. But if I can't figure out what's going on with this transmission, I'm afraid I won't be able to keep it for much longer.

Another problem I'm having with this car is whenever I start it up, it revs (by itself) to around 2,000rpms. Once it's at around 2,000rpms, it drops to 500-600rpms as if it were going to die. It goes back and forth until it eventually evens out and idles smoothly. I'm not sure if these two problems coincide with each other or not, but I just figure I'd let you guys know if it helps at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2012 (4cyl) Malibu transmission problem!