Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2015, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Because the opposite - unintended acceleration would be even worse?

If replacing the throttle body doesn't clear things up - there is probably some electrical issue that needs tracked down.

Electronic throttle control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Software or electronic failures within the ETC have been suspected by some to be responsible for alleged incidents of unintended acceleration. A series of investigations by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) were unable to get to the bottom of all of the reported incidents of unintended acceleration in 2002 and later model year Toyota and Lexus vehicles. A February 2011 report issued by a team from NASA (which studied the source code and electronics for a 2005 Camry model, at the request of NHTSA) did not rule out software malfunctions as a potential cause.<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[3]</sup> In October 2013, the first jury to hear evidence about Toyota's source code (from expert witness Michael Barr (software engineer)<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[4]</sup> found Toyota liable for the death of a passenger in a September 2007 unintended acceleration collision in Oklahoma.

Electronic Throttle Control

I was browsing here - lots of recommendations and different fixes...

Service Traction and ESC [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

E_Net_Rider
12-10-2009, 07:53 AM

if the service traction control light is on, or service stability, then its not powertrain related. not a cat, has nothing to do with poor fuel. unless the engine is misfiring, or other concerns exist with drivability. if not, then its not going to disable the stability system.

the reason that it resets after you turn the car off, is because it IS resetting itself. when it comes on, you need to take it to the dealer, do not shut off the car, take it directly to the shop, tell them to test it without shutting it off. the problem is current when the light is on. most likely - it is a wheel speed sensor failing intermittently, or wiring from the electronic brake control module to one of the wheel speed sensors. fixed several of them for various rear hub failures, few front hubs, had open circuits in the wiring to the wheel speed sensors, and even have had failed EBCM's. you wont know until the vehicle is tested. there will be a chassis DTC in the EBCM for the fault
I almost laughed when I read your reply. "Because the opposite unintentional slowing down would be worse!!! So what is your definition of "unintentional" ? Or better yet "intentional" ? When you drive a car you are supposed to be in full control- if a car you are driving speeds up it should be because YOU want it to and took some physical action to make it happen - if it turns to the right or left suddenly then it should absolutely be because YOU wanted it to and you physically and intentionally turned the wheel. Any and every single move your car makes should be intentional!! The person with the"intent" must be the driver !! If a vehicle slows from 75 to 20 mph because the driver has a foot on the brake , then that is a desired consequence of the intentional actions of the driver who knows its coming and has brake lights behind him to warn others immediately of his intentions. BUT by the very definition of the word unintentional our cars are slowing to 20 mph on their own - when we don't want or "intend" for them to!
Your suggestions of possible fixes to this problem, while offered with the correct sentiment sir are sorely misguided . This is due to the fact that u have not felt the pain of our issue . Maybe you don't mind having a diagnostic test run on your car only to have the dealer make a guess and charge you close to $900 only to turn around and have the same issue keep popping up once u pick up your vehicle ! Maybe u think its a good financial decision to just start replacing expensive parts in the hope that u get lucky and find the cause. Most of us know better !
For my taste they could just disable that feature on my vehicles and I would just take a chance of not having limp mode like 90 percent of the vehicles I've owned
Old April 22nd, 2015, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Because the opposite - unintended acceleration would be even worse?

If replacing the throttle body doesn't clear things up - there is probably some electrical issue that needs tracked down.

Electronic throttle control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Software or electronic failures within the ETC have been suspected by some to be responsible for alleged incidents of unintended acceleration. A series of investigations by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) were unable to get to the bottom of all of the reported incidents of unintended acceleration in 2002 and later model year Toyota and Lexus vehicles. A February 2011 report issued by a team from NASA (which studied the source code and electronics for a 2005 Camry model, at the request of NHTSA) did not rule out software malfunctions as a potential cause.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-3">[3]</sup> In October 2013, the first jury to hear evidence about Toyota's source code (from expert witness Michael Barr (software engineer)<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-4">[4]</sup> found Toyota liable for the death of a passenger in a September 2007 unintended acceleration collision in Oklahoma.

Electronic Throttle Control

I was browsing here - lots of recommendations and different fixes...

Service Traction and ESC [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

E_Net_Rider
12-10-2009, 07:53 AM

if the service traction control light is on, or service stability, then its not powertrain related. not a cat, has nothing to do with poor fuel. unless the engine is misfiring, or other concerns exist with drivability. if not, then its not going to disable the stability system.

the reason that it resets after you turn the car off, is because it IS resetting itself. when it comes on, you need to take it to the dealer, do not shut off the car, take it directly to the shop, tell them to test it without shutting it off. the problem is current when the light is on. most likely - it is a wheel speed sensor failing intermittently, or wiring from the electronic brake control module to one of the wheel speed sensors. fixed several of them for various rear hub failures, few front hubs, had open circuits in the wiring to the wheel speed sensors, and even have had failed EBCM's. you wont know until the vehicle is tested. there will be a chassis DTC in the EBCM for the fault

I disagree with the notion that unintended acceleration would be worse. I have never been in that situation, but I do know that you can put a vehicle into neutral and it will not accelerate, nor will it decelerate so quickly that it becomes a danger to everyone in the area. However, since I have not personally experienced that situation, I can't say for sure what works, personally -- shift to neutral, turn on flashers as car slowly loses speed, use cars momentum to pull to the side, shut the car off. Regardless, bringing up a Toyota safety issue that cost them over $1.2 billion really helps make my point. GM is ignoring the issue trying to avoid spending big bucks to make it right

E net rider -- your post comes from someone in a dream world. So I'm on the interstate and my truck goes into limp mode. You want me to not shut it off and allow a reset so that I can drive SAFELY home, your idea is to continue to drive at 20 -25 mph on an interstate where the minimum speed is 45 (and for good reason SAFETY), and take it 10 or 40, or 150 miles to a dealership so that the light is on when they check it.

People I have a much better and much safer idea. pull over if you can avoid getting run over in the process, shut it off and let it reset. then take it to a dealer as soon as you can. Leave it with them like i did, and they will drive the doggone vehicle every day if they have to until the conditon repeats itself, and then they will check it. That post above is absolutely crazy talk. I am not saying that they will fix your vehicle, but driving mile after mile at 20 mph in interstate traffic is not a good idea
Old April 22nd, 2015, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Oh I forgot to post this fix. For those of you who still have these defective vehicles that go into limp mode on a regular basis, and they make you late for work or appointments or whatever because you have to pull over and shut it off and wait for 5 to 10 minutes for it to reset TRY THIS.

Go to Pep Boys and buy a battery shut off switch. install it on your vehicle and whenever your vehicle goes into limp mode, do like you normally do, pull over to the nearest safe location, and shut the vehicle off. only now you can pop your hood, disconnect the battery using the shutoff switch, and reconnect it after a couple of seconds. Your vehicle will not be in limp mode any longer. Now instead of sitting and looking stupid for 10 minutes waiting on a reset, you force a reset and are rolling full speed again in less than 30 seconds. Works like a charm. Doesn't eliminate the danger of surprise limp mode, but it does lessen the pain of time loss.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default @sledge.impy

Why do you care? Why are you even on this forum? Seems like all you do is sit around waiting to attack each new person who has this problem. You seem like a lonely, bitter, angry person. Either that or you invented this limp mode function so you feel compelled to defend it. Good luck with that.
Why does everyone have a 18 wheeler behind them when this happens?

Quit making up stories.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

I was having this problem over the winter. took it into the dealership and they replaced the throttle body - but also said that it is very important to do a fuel injection cleaning every 38K miles (i was at 58K). There is nothing in my book that says anything about doing the fuel injection cleaning, and nothing was ever said about it when getting my oil changed...or on the OnStar monthly diagnostic report. however - since they changed the throttle body and cleaned the fuel injection system ii have had no further problems - so i wonder if they go hand-in-hand somehow?
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default reduced engine power light on Saturn Vue

I'm a new forum member precisely because of this issue. I have a 2006 Saturn Vue (4-cyl). Has been an almost perfect car for 156K miles until a couple weeks ago, when this Reduced Engine Power light came on. Now the car won't go above 25mph. I took it to our local repair shop, and they replaced the throttlebody--that didn't solve the issue. Graciously, the repair shop didn't charge me and just put my old throttlebody back on. They suggested I take it to a Chevy dealer and have them look at it. I'm hesitant to do that now, because of all the horror stories in this thread.

Any suggestions on what to try replacing next? I did PM the GM customer service on this board to see if they would offer any help or suggestions, but I don't anticipate them giving me the silver bullet solution.

(perhaps incidentally, this problem happened not long after I had the ignition recall done on this car--could that have had something to do with it?)

Thanks,
J
Old April 24th, 2015, 3:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joebor1776
I'm a new forum member precisely because of this issue. I have a 2006 Saturn Vue (4-cyl). Has been an almost perfect car for 156K miles until a couple weeks ago, when this Reduced Engine Power light came on. Now the car won't go above 25mph. I took it to our local repair shop, and they replaced the throttlebody--that didn't solve the issue. Graciously, the repair shop didn't charge me and just put my old throttlebody back on. They suggested I take it to a Chevy dealer and have them look at it. I'm hesitant to do that now, because of all the horror stories in this thread.

Any suggestions on what to try replacing next? I did PM the GM customer service on this board to see if they would offer any help or suggestions, but I don't anticipate them giving me the silver bullet solution.

(perhaps incidentally, this problem happened not long after I had the ignition recall done on this car--could that have had something to do with it?)

Thanks,
J
What work did your ignition recall entail? Some people just got inserts on their keys to take away the lever action.
Old April 24th, 2015, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

What work did your ignition recall entail? Some people just got inserts on their keys to take away the lever action.
I don't know exactly, but it was a fix to the column itself... We got new keys (but normal keys, no inserts). I will ask the dealer what exactly they did.
Old April 24th, 2015, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default I've had it with Chevy!!

Traded in my Chevy Cruze back in February due to this problem (my daughter could have been killed). Have had issues with my Chevy Traverse not related to this but similar in that Checy does not want to issue a recall so I traded that in Maexh 2015. Bye bye Chevy forever 😀
U][/U]
Originally Posted by handslike2feet
I was having this problem over the winter. took it into the dealership and they replaced the throttle body - but also said that it is very important to do a fuel injection cleaning every 38K miles (i was at 58K). There is nothing in my book that says anything about doing the fuel injection cleaning, and nothing was ever said about it when getting my oil changed...or on the OnStar monthly diagnostic report. however - since they changed the throttle body and cleaned the fuel injection system ii have had no further problems - so i wonder if they go hand-in-hand somehow?
Old April 25th, 2015, 2:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidclan
Traded in my Chevy Cruze back in February due to this problem (my daughter could have been killed). Have had issues with my Chevy Traverse not related to this but similar in that Checy does not want to issue a recall so I traded that in Maexh 2015. Bye bye Chevy forever 😀
U][/U]
Hi David,

We're truly sorry to hear this experience caused you to leave Chevrolet. Your loyalty and support is of great importance to us and we're sorry we were unable to resolve this to your satisfaction. We wish you all the best and hope to earn your business and trust in the future.

Best,

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!