Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2016 | 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default almost hit while driving.

So I have an 08' Pontiac G5 GT , which is overseen by GM , I am currently having the same issue that everyone else on this thread is having , and almost got hit by a truck because of it. I've had my battery , and alternator replaced because that's what was thought to have been the problem at the time , but as you can see it was not. I've noticed some people have weaved in that weather might have been a factor in to what had made their car start to act up , I honestly have no consistent factors as to what makes my cars engine power reduce , and my car shut off. it's happened 3 times , and each time I turn my car off , let it sit for a few minutes , and when I turn it back on it'll drive fine for a day or two and then do the same thing. I've called Chevy-GMC and they can't seem to tell me what the issue may be. I've gotten my timing belt from some , I've gotten my transmission from others , I just want an answer and some help , so I can stop wasting my money and be able to SAFELY drive my car again.
Old April 27th, 2016 | 5:20 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Kenya Diona Morales
So I have an 08' Pontiac G5 GT , which is overseen by GM , I am currently having the same issue that everyone else on this thread is having , and almost got hit by a truck because of it. I've had my battery , and alternator replaced because that's what was thought to have been the problem at the time , but as you can see it was not. I've noticed some people have weaved in that weather might have been a factor in to what had made their car start to act up , I honestly have no consistent factors as to what makes my cars engine power reduce , and my car shut off. it's happened 3 times , and each time I turn my car off , let it sit for a few minutes , and when I turn it back on it'll drive fine for a day or two and then do the same thing. I've called Chevy-GMC and they can't seem to tell me what the issue may be. I've gotten my timing belt from some , I've gotten my transmission from others , I just want an answer and some help , so I can stop wasting my money and be able to SAFELY drive my car again.
Hello Kenya,

Reoccurring vehicle concerns can be quite frustrating and we do genuinely apologize for the trouble you've encountered with your Equinox. Since you mentioned you've been in contact with our customer assistance center, feel free to send us the case number or your VIN within a private message. We'd be happy to review it in greater depth and further document this on your behalf.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 6th, 2016 | 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Engine Reduces Still On

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR 1LT. For the past few months the check engine light and power reduced message have been coming on when starting the car or even while driving. We would stop the car, turn it off, wait a few min and turn it back on to keep driving. It would clear for a few days to even a few weeks and then it would happen again. The last few months now, the issue got worse. The light and message come on right as we turn the car on and they are now not clearing off.

We took the car to the dealer on Monday after getting the codes from the reader. We received a number of different codes from the throttle body, to the gas pedal to some voltage codes. We changed the pedal, that didn't fix it, then we changed the throttle body and were advised we needed to take it to the dealer to "reprogram" the car due to this change. Took it to the dealer, they "reprogrammed" something and when we picked it up, the light and message where still there. Service adviser said, oh wow they came back that fast? She then advised, ok so it must be the ECM, you need to change that. We got the part and changed the ECM. Dealer "reprogrammed" this part. We went to pick up the car and were told everything was good, shouldn't get the light or message again. They supposedly started the car multiple times and drove ir for 4 miles to confirm the issue was fixed. Well we turned the car on at the dealer and the light was still on, and when we revved the engine, the power reduced came on. Now the dealer is blaming us for not doing a diagnostic first, which they never told us to do. They want to charge us for labor on something they didnt fix and they still dont know what the issue is. They are saying even if they run a diagnostic now they still wont know for sure what it wrong. I need help!!
Old May 14th, 2016 | 7:00 PM
CF Junior Member

I saw this posted on another site. Has anyone used this service bulletin with the dealer?

Just in case some of you don't know this and are fighting this with the dealer:

Theres a special coverage policy for that.. take this to your dealership. . 11273B: Special Coverage Adjustment - Throttle Position Sensor Replacement - (Dec 16, 2013)

Subject:*11273B — Special Coverage Adjustment – Throttle Position Sensor Replacement

Models:*2008-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT2008-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer2008-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe2009-2011 Chevrolet Colorado2008-2009 GMC Envoy2008-2011 GMC Savana, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL2009-2011 GMC Canyon2008-2009 HUMMER H22008-2010 HUMMER H32009-2010 HUMMER H3T2008-2009 Saab 9-7xEquipped with V8 Engine (LFA, LY2, L20, LMG, LC9, LH6, LMF, LH8, LH9, L76, LS2, LY5, LY6, L92, L96, LZ1, L94, L9H)

This bulletin has been revised to include 2008-2009 Saab 9-7x export vehicles. Please discard all copies of bulletin 11273A.

ConditionOn some 2008-2009 Saab 9-7x; 2008-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer; GMC Envoy; HUMMER H2; 2008-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Savana, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL; 2008-2010 HUMMER H3; 2009-2011 Chevrolet Colorado; GMC Canyon; and 2009-2010 HUMMER H3T vehicles, equipped with a V8 engine, the throttle position sensor may cause the engine to run rough and cause the malfunction indicator lamp and/or an Engine Reduced Power message to illuminate. If this occurs, it could result in reduced engine power.Special Coverage AdjustmentThis special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the throttle position sensor and reprogram the Engine Control Module. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Owners of 2008-2009 Saab 9-7x vehicles delivered in the U.S. or Canada will receive a separate notification and be addressed by Saab Authorized Service Centers. This bulletin applies to those 2008-2009 Saab 9-7x vehicles delivered outside of the U.S. and Canada that are subject to this special coverage.

For 2008-2010 model year vehicles: For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 21, 2012, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 21, 2012, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2011 model year vehicles: For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after June 28, 2013, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to June 28, 2013, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles InvolvedAll involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

Originally Posted by Helen Argueta
I have a 2006 Chevy HHR 1LT. For the past few months the check engine light and power reduced message have been coming on when starting the car or even while driving. We would stop the car, turn it off, wait a few min and turn it back on to keep driving. It would clear for a few days to even a few weeks and then it would happen again. The last few months now, the issue got worse. The light and message come on right as we turn the car on and they are now not clearing off.

We took the car to the dealer on Monday after getting the codes from the reader. We received a number of different codes from the throttle body, to the gas pedal to some voltage codes. We changed the pedal, that didn't fix it, then we changed the throttle body and were advised we needed to take it to the dealer to "reprogram" the car due to this change. Took it to the dealer, they "reprogrammed" something and when we picked it up, the light and message where still there. Service adviser said, oh wow they came back that fast? She then advised, ok so it must be the ECM, you need to change that. We got the part and changed the ECM. Dealer "reprogrammed" this part. We went to pick up the car and were told everything was good, shouldn't get the light or message again. They supposedly started the car multiple times and drove ir for 4 miles to confirm the issue was fixed. Well we turned the car on at the dealer and the light was still on, and when we revved the engine, the power reduced came on. Now the dealer is blaming us for not doing a diagnostic first, which they never told us to do. They want to charge us for labor on something they didnt fix and they still dont know what the issue is. They are saying even if they run a diagnostic now they still wont know for sure what it wrong. I need help!!
Old May 15th, 2016 | 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

that bulletin doesn't apply to every vehicle but the reduced power failsafe mode IS part of every vehicle...ive posted numerous times on related threads so im checking out now, gripe away people and watch your problems stay the same
Old May 15th, 2016 | 1:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
that bulletin doesn't apply to every vehicle but the reduced power failsafe mode IS part of every vehicle...ive posted numerous times on related threads so im checking out now, gripe away people and watch your problems stay the same
Well mine is a 08 Avalanche.

The AV is now my sons and he came into town from college a week ago. I knew the check engine light had been on but the codes ran at autozone were the p0420 and p0430. They said it was probably a o2 sensor. Well this past week he got the engine power reduced, service stabilink and the rough running. I'm also wouldn't crank after turning off...did the same thing to me...battery is fine, it just didn't try to start....it finally cranked so Yesterday I drove it and I got the same thing he did..I noticed the door locks clicked to indicating something electrical.

Took it to autozone again and they said it had 17 codes including history.

Some of the ones they wrote were p0420, p0430,p0106, p069e, p1682, c0035, c0561, c0899,c0900, and p0573..,,what a cluster
Old August 6th, 2016 | 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Engn pwr rducd/ power steering/esc

It's happened to me twice already, I'm at an intersection with a speed of 60 mph in my 09 Chevy Malibu, there's a chance to enter the highway from my stop so I attempt to turn into the highway and my steering wheel locks completely the inly thinh in the info bar was power steering and I have to drive into a field to avoid being hit by cars on both traffic lanes at 60 mph. It was something super scary cause there's constantly 18 wheelers where I'm from. Another thing same as y'all my car started shaking when I was at a light and an 18 wheeler was coming up behind me and the car would accelerate I almost got hit by the 18 wheeler but he managed to switch lanes just in the nick of time on the info bar it said engine power reduced. I've always been a die hard Chevy Fan but these close calls are making me have doubt's, when I think Chevy or GM my mindset was always dependable, long lasting, and tough. I had my car taken to a mechanic he said it was the trottle body, he cleaned it but was still shaking not accelerating and had the same error msg, so he changed it out, it ran great for a couple hours then it started again and again I find myself with high speeds all around and trying not to get hit and move out of the way with the speed starting at 10 mph and getting as high as 40 mph mind you these roads are 65 mph on average. The car pulls due to the ESC but it doesn't happen all the time however the msg is always on. Now I haven't had a car in over a week, having back to back Dr visits due to a back injury that resulted from being hit by a drunk driver some years back, and I need answers if this is something having to do with the company it would be who of them to take responsibility and be the utmost company that I have respected for just about all my life.

Last edited by Bella_lashes; August 6th, 2016 at 5:05 PM. Reason: This has happened about 10 times
Old August 6th, 2016 | 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default 911 - Engine Power Reduced/Power Steering/ and ESC Service Traction

It's happened to me twice already, I'm at an intersection with a speed of 60 mph in my 09 Chevy Malibu, there's a chance to enter the highway from my stop so I attempt to turn into the highway and my steering wheel locks completely the inly thinh in the info bar was power steering and I have to drive into a field to avoid being hit by cars on both traffic lanes at 60 mph. It was something super scary cause there's constantly 18 wheelers where I'm from. Another thing same as y'all my car started shaking when I was at a light and an 18 wheeler was coming up behind me and the car would accelerate I almost got hit by the 18 wheeler but he managed to switch lanes just in the nick of time on the info bar it said engine power reduced. I've always been a die hard Chevy Fan but these close calls are making me have doubt's, when I think Chevy or GM my mindset was always dependable, long lasting, and tough. I had my car taken to a mechanic he said it was the trottle body, he cleaned it but was still shaking not accelerating and had the same error msg, so he changed it out, it ran great for a couple hours then it started again and again I find myself with high speeds all around and trying not to get hit and move out of the way with the speed starting at 10 mph and getting as high as 40 mph mind you these roads are 65 mph on average. The car pulls due to the ESC but it doesn't happen all the time however the msg is always on. Now I haven't had a car in over a week, having back to back Dr visits due to a back injury that resulted from being hit by a drunk driver some years back, and I need answers if this is something having to do with the company it would be who of them to take responsibility and be the utmost company that I have respected for just about all my life.
Old August 7th, 2016 | 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Bella_lashes
I'm sick to my stomach reading about the ongoing problem of reduced engine power with GM vehicles which is now happening to my 2016 Malibu Premier. Had I known, I would not have bought this vehicle. I've only had it for a month (purchased July 2016) and it has been in the GM Dealer shop for two separate issues, (Disabled Collision Warning System and Reduced Engine Power). The GM Technician had to trouble shoot with GM (tac) regarding the disabled collision warning system. Their solution was to clear the codes to reset the computer to fix the problem. It worked, but I was asked if I had recently taken it through a car wash. I told them I did and they said they would advise GM. I haven't gone through a car wash since getting the Collision Warning System reactivated. Last week, they replaced the electronic throttle body (vehicle had to be towed), but it acted up again the very next day. It's back in the gm garage waiting to be looked at. I've already lost all confidence in this vehicle and regret having made the purchase. I specifically upgraded to this vehicle so that my daughter would feel safe driving it, but I don't want to drive it myself. I will let you know what parts they decide to change next.
Old August 7th, 2016 | 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thank youendable vehicle, cause of my disability

[QUOTE=2016 Malibu Owner;325652]I'm sick to my stomach reading about the ongoing problem of reduced engine power with GM vehicles which is now happening to my 2016 Malibu Premier. Had I known, I would not have bought this vehicle. I've only

I got this vehicle to depend on it cause of my disability and I've been having problems since I bought it. I appreciate you responding to my post and look forward to your post

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!