Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2015, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive or try to drive a '13 SS Camaro Dusk Edition. The very same thing has happened to me now 4 times and of course I'm still under warranty. However, the dealer refuses or can't fix it. The last time it happened I was stranded on top of train tracks. I even told them this but pretty much got no reaction. I've been stuck now in a drive thru window and had to get pushed. Had to have it towed 2 times. Once after 2 hours of getting the car back supposedly fixed. It's currently been in the shop again now for starting the 5th day. I love or loved this car but I literally hope they keep it longer. I have a loaner and at least I feel safe in it. I can't believe how many vehicles this is happening to. I have to go out of town this coming weekend and I can't trust that car for this important trip. I can't even trust not getting in an accident with it because of the issue. Mine completely dies when it happens now. When I was stuck on the train tracks I couldn't push it off. Two of us couldn't get it off. Luckily 3 guys saw and pulled over and helped. I can't believe I don't want the car back but it's so nerve-wracking I stay stressed while driving it. I hope they at least let me keep this loaner for my trip. What a complete mess.

The EXPENSIVE wheels on this car have paint wearing out issues too after just 26k miles????? They are special wheels on the Dusk Edition. The paint on the interior lights is wearing out on the doors. I truly believe I got a lemon in this car as expensive as it was. If they really cared they'd have already asked if they could replace it for me. Pretty sad.

This is the 2nd SS Camaro I have bought from them in a few years and I planned on upgrading to a ZL1 in a couple more or a 'Vette but now I don't know about that anymore.

I didn't mention that when they had it the first time for a week and a half they obviously put regular unleaded fuel in the car and that caused issues with the computer dropping it into a lower octane table. This caused the car to not have as much power. They replaced the ECM which of course reset it to the default table and it ran great for 2 hours that I had it back. Of course I can't prove they put regular unleaded in it but I know it happened. The more I think about this, the more aggravating it is.

Last edited by Storm T; May 4th, 2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 7th, 2015, 11:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Finally a recall on this problem!

I posted this in the Impala forum but it probably also applies here -
Finally, I received a recall letter today from Chevy on the Service Traction Control, Service Stabilitrack, Engine power reduced problem. They claim it's a bad solder connection. They are offering to reimburse if you already had repairs done. They're also giving extended protection for 10 yrs./120,000 miles.
So, watch for your letter. If you don't get one, the return address on mine is
Chevrolet
P.O. Box 909989
Milwaukee, WI 53209-9989

My car is a 2010 Impala
Old May 7th, 2015, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Interesting since this last time he says he found loose / stretched wires. Mine's under warranty so no cost to me other than time and the danger. If the recall does turn out to be the same issue wth took them so long to figure it out? What's the date of the recall bulletin?
Old May 8th, 2015, 6:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default Engine reduced power

I finally received my letter from Chevy for reimbursement cause the solder connection within the gas petal my be broken
Old May 12th, 2015, 1:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Storm T
. . . What's the date of the recall bulletin?
I checked the letter again - there is not a specific date. It just says April 2015. There is also no reference to any kind of bulletin.
Old May 16th, 2015, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Chevy Cruze Issues

Man, oh man oh man. I did my research on the pros and cons of the cruze, and I never came across you guys issues and even the ones I'm experiencing. I've experienced the warning signs of Service Stabili Track and Traction Control and even auto theft system. Just bought this vehicle from a Hertz Dealership around 3 months ago. But today takes the cake. I had my kids in the car prepping to take them somewhere, and while driving out of my complex, the acceleration comes to a stop, Engine Power is Reduced shows up, what the heck. I've twice already brought the car in to be serviced from the dealers company service center and chevy dealer here in San Diego, they can't find any issues. Now that the Engine Power is Reduced sign came up and with check engine light on, I'm wondering if after getting this fixed, should I trade in the vehicle? And I have video and pics of all this.

What do you guys think?

Do these issues ever get resolved? And why is GM okay with cars running like this.
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

I just had that same issue happen to me. I was driving on my way to work and the car lost power i could not go had my foot all the on the gas pedal is still nothing. I have been having issues with this car as long as i have had it and i am sick and tired of it. Took the car to my mechanic and he said it was my ecm or pcm in the car but chevy has replaced this part 2 times already. Took it up to chevy and they are saying they can no longer help me with the car. I am so tired i just want this to work so that i can get out of this loan and get me a new car. Please someone help me i know that it is a electrical problem but i am not sure where to look or what to look for.
Old June 17th, 2015, 6:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default Help...

I just had this eng pwr reduced service traction and service esc lights pop up...i have VERY limited acceleration (2500 rpms) i was able to maintain 55mph luckily to work. Cruise control also went with the rest...ive seen alot of possible fixes...any info on the actual problem????
Old June 17th, 2015, 2:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy5530
I just had this eng pwr reduced service traction and service esc lights pop up...i have VERY limited acceleration (2500 rpms) i was able to maintain 55mph luckily to work. Cruise control also went with the rest...ive seen alot of possible fixes...any info on the actual problem????
Hello Troy,

We apologize for this, and would be happy to look into this further for you. Please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to providing any additional assistance.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 18th, 2015, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello Troy,

We apologize for this, and would be happy to look into this further for you. Please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to providing any additional assistance.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Vin number is 1G1ZH57B38F275136 THERES 126,000 miles onthe car you can get ahold of me anytime after 230 during the week at 7154131984

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!