Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

02 Monte Carlo not starting!!

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2012, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Monte Carlo not starting!!

Help! Ive had my 02 monte carlo for years... within the past year at times it wont start. The battery and hook ups are fine. Tried a new passlock didnt work. its not reading any codes. only way it'll start is unhooking the battery and rehooking it. at times when key is taken out, inside lights flash. it wont start if door is open. most all times the security light is on. nobody can figure it out... please help me!!!!
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

the ignition passlock sensor and it wouldnt start with the new one after i reintroduced the key. started with the old one. it starts sometimes. i have had the codes read, i wrote that in my initial post. i have had 4 head mechanics at major shops look at it, 3 owners of shops, and a chevy dealership and none can figure it out. i have read codes when the security light is on, when it wont start, and when it will; no codes show at all. i do not appreciate your cady response to my problem. this situation with my car is annoying and im to the point im not only done with the car but chevy if nobody figures this out. please, if all you can do is rude comments towards me, do not respond. im on here for real advice and help
Old April 11th, 2012, 7:33 PM
CF Junior Member

The problems you're describing have been resolved on other forums by cleaning the ground wire connection located under the air box on the left frame horn.

Originally Posted by eberkatie
the ignition passlock sensor and it wouldnt start with the new one after i reintroduced the key.
I assume that when you say you reintroduced the key you mean you did a relearn for the passlock system? If not you need to do the following:

Try to start the car, then release the key to the ON position.
The SECURITY light should be ON.
Leave the key in the ON position for 11 minutes.
Turn key to the OFF position for a minimum of 30 seconds.
Repeat (Key ON for 11 minutes/OFF for 30 seconds minimum) 2 more times for a total of 3 cycles.
Start the vehicle.

It is helpful to provide as much info as possible and be patient when someone is trying to assist in solving a problem. We all get frustrated at times when something goes wrong, but (what comes across as) a poor attitude towards others isn't going to inspire many to volunteer any help or advice...ya know? I hope you are able to resolve your problem.
Old April 11th, 2012, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

EinST, people like you are why people hate mechanics. you snap at someone then turn it. i havent paid a cent for looking at my car. i have friends, family, and know people so its not me getting crappy with people im paying. thanks for assuming. also, i have had "proper" tools to read codes at multiple places. just because im female does not mean i dont understand it. as you said it isnt rocket science. if you can figure out how to read a code or use the right tool to, anyone can. and please stop commenting on my posts. you are not helpful and are an annoyance.
03SSL3, ive done that. it did start but the problem still exhists. its not always just happens out of nowhere. and if you read what i wrote and whomever the rude person was who has been commenting, i took rightful annoyance out on them. their snippy unneeded comments are not ok. i appreciate your help, but the problem is still unsolved....
Old April 12th, 2012, 7:38 AM
CF Junior Member

When you say "i've done that" you are referring to the relearn process? Has the air box been removed and the ground wire connection cleaned as mentioned in my previous post?