Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Coolant found in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2010, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant found in oil pan

Hello all. . .
On a 2000 monte carlo with the 3.4. . . I pulled the oil pan to replace the gasket and when I did. . . i found a small amount of coolant in the pan. Its coming down somewhere is looks like behind the timing cover and leaking down the "front" main cap into the pan. I havn't ever had the timing cover off this particular motor. . . Is that gasket prone to leaking and introducing coolant into the oil? Or is there another common issue? thanks.
timmy
Old January 21st, 2010, 8:17 AM
Taz
CF Beginner
MonteCarloForum Liaison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have the same problem most GM 3.4 litre engine owners have. The lower intake manifold gasket fails and leaks antifreeze into the engine oil. Replace the L.I.M. gasket and make sure to tork the bolts properly. I know of someone who used a bit of loc-tite on the bolts to make sure they didn't work themselves loose.

GM cars from 99 and up, with the 3.4 litre engine are known to have that problem.