S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

engine light wont go off!!!

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2010, 3:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Blazer Dude
what kind of scanner do you own that read your codes?

I see to many kinds in the local autostores but no idea which one to read the codes on my 96 blazer
should be able to use any scantool that is obd2 compliant. have local parts stores hook theirs up to make sure it communicates, and find out what one they use. i have an old generic scantool that will read obd1 and obd2 systems.
Old March 13th, 2010, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had bought a Actron 9180 @ PepBoy's, it never would communicate with the vehicle.... I took it back this evening, and Abdula said he checked it out on his car, and it worked (he said) so I had him try it on my S-10 and he said that there were no codes on it (service engine soon) light blazin away. He said that that wasn't the check engine light, that on ment that it was time to change the oil, or something, every so many miles that it would come on... so I asked him how to turn the light off... he said there was a switch somewhere to turn it off, ( I was almost rolling on the floor at this point) so anyway, they changed it out with a Innova 3130 scanner, took it out to the truck and plugged it in, and suprise, it connected and the code came up, P0420. Man, this scanner is the bomb, I can say nothing bad about it. Next i'm going to check out the 02 sensor, and then have the cat checked out Monday. I had it replaced about a 1 1/2 yrs ago, but I guess it could be bad again. Like I posted earlier, we have put E-85 in it in the past, don't know if that may have an effect on the cat or not...... will let ya'll know the outcome.
Old March 13th, 2010, 9:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i've heard the 9180 has issues communicating with alot of cars. glad ya got one that worked for ya. some cars do have an oil change indicator, which is reset by turning ignition on and pumping either the brake or gas pedal like 3 or 5 times (my duramax has this, but i let dealer change oil and reset)