Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C refrigerant leak

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2020, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C refrigerant leak

Hello new to this Chevy forum. i own an old 2000 1500 silverdao 4.8L 4x4 and was wondering if there is a Known weak spot on these trucks that the 134a leaks from.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 7:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by slowrida
Hello new to this Chevy forum. i own an old 2000 1500 silverdao 4.8L 4x4 and was wondering if there is a Known weak spot on these trucks that the 134a leaks from.
Most likely the A/C compressor. Check your high and low inlets for a bad Schrader valve too
Old August 2nd, 2020, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, i did manage to charge it and it cooled pretty good compressor was running very quietly but it leaked out a day later. Im gonna look at the eval coil?? are there any known ac leaks on these trucks that keep popping up you know of?
Old August 4th, 2020, 7:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

On a truck that old, it could be about anything, but finding the source is not unlike finding any other fluid leak. Look for areas that appear wet or have dirt/debris stuck on them. If it’s leaking fast enough to lose the charge in a day, it shouldn’t be too hard to see.

It may help to remove the grill and air box to get a clear view of the condenser and lines.

If nothing else, get a UV dye charge to trace it - with large leaks, it’s easy to see the source without actually needing a UV light and glasses.
Old August 4th, 2020, 8:47 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by slowrida
Yea, i did manage to charge it and it cooled pretty good compressor was running very quietly but it leaked out a day later. Im gonna look at the eval coil?? are there any known ac leaks on these trucks that keep popping up you know of?
There are all kinds of o-rings that go bad. I just hope its not the evaporator. That means pulling the climate control box and is one of the most expensive A/C components to replace due to all the labor involved. They don't go out often but they do go out on occasion. I'd try the leak finder first. If you pull the condenser just chuck it for a new one, like Gumby said. Get a new orifice valve with might come with the condenser, as its the lower tube on the condenser. Put some PAG 150 oil on it and gently affix it into the connection.How much PAG 150 did you add with the new compressor?. If you are REAL lucky it'll leak out and show you where its leaking but dont count on it as a new system only holds 8 oubces of oil..

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 4th, 2020 at 8:53 PM.
Old August 13th, 2020, 5:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my 1998 Tahoe the evaporator developed leaks and to replace it the entire dash would have to be removed. Labor costs made this an unwise investment.
Old August 14th, 2020, 11:55 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by elkhornsun
With my 1998 Tahoe the evaporator developed leaks and to replace it the entire dash would have to be removed. Labor costs made this an unwise investment.
I am a fan of running everything every so often. For instance, using the heater on full in summer time for awhile. Gets all the antifreeze out of the heater core, so it isn't just sitting
there with nothing to do during the hot months and so on, Evaporators going out are usually the result of moisture/air in the system.
Old August 15th, 2020, 4:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Evaporators going out are usually the result of moisture/air in the system.
Or someone who wasn’t paying attention while assembling an HVAC housing, as seems to be the case on the rear evaporator in my 2016 grand caravan. We’ve owned it since January 2017 and it held out until this summer....