Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new truck problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2010, 10:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new truck problems!!!!!

i bought a 1994 Z71 with 152xxx miles on it a week ago. I figured it had some problems because i got it cheap and it looked really nice.

When it goes to change there is a long hesitation. The rpms will drop to idle for several seconds. Then it will go into gear.

Another problem is it idles verry low (almost stalling). It has stalled itself once at a stop sign. I have no idea how i would adjust the idle on a tbi engine. I was told it could be a bad sensor, but im not sure.

Other than those problems and it needing a tune up it is a great truck.

Last edited by chase050505; October 8th, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the idle if you have the hood open stand on the drivers side by the front wheel.
Do you see the brake fluid reservoir? The idle adjustment is just a little beond the reservoir toward the passenger side,
but it is on the drivers side of the engine. I think about 1:00 from the oil cap.
There is a cable connected to a little black screw piece, I believe screwing that piece in will up the idle.
I believe a good idle for these trucks is about 700 rpm's but you have to adjust it when the truck is warmed up
cuz the EPROM raises the idle when the truck is cold.
If you still can't find the idle have a sibling, friend, neighbor... Whoever pump the gas pedal and you should
clearly see the throttle going in and out.

For the shifting, try changing out the shifting solenoid, it would be the cheapest, quickest, easiest replacement
that could fix your problem.
Also make sure you have a good level of transmission fluid. The tranny fluid should be checked when the truck is
Warmed up and also should be checked with the vehicle running.

And FWIW it would be a good idea to change the oil and transmission fluid after buying a used vehicle.
No telling how long that oil has been sitting in there.
Good luck

EDIT: yes, it's at about 2:00 from the oil cap
Attached Thumbnails new truck problems!!!!!-idle.jpg  

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; October 9th, 2010 at 3:36 PM.
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the first things I did when I got my used Silverado is have ALL of the fluids changed. Had the engine and tranny flushed, transfer case and differentials all drained and refilled. Also had the Brake system flushed and refilled. Gives you a good starting point for maintenance items. Personally, I would take your truck in for the tranny problem. Could be lots of stuff. I had a high revving shift issue that is a known problem and cleared on it's own. Computer issue. Are you throwing any codes? Randomly replacing parts to fix a problem can get expensive.

And have your wheel bearings checked. Mine had 115K on it and the bearings were shot. With a used vehicle you pretty much never know what the maintenance was like.

Last edited by schristi69; October 11th, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:30 PM
CF Junior Member

I found out yesterday that the motor is going to have to be rebuilt. I was giving it a tune up and the plugs had oil on them. I was told that the transmission thing could be an engine misfire.

I have no idea if it is pulling codes someone disabled the service engine soon light.
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
CF Active Member

did they say why?
Old October 12th, 2010, 9:20 PM
CF Junior Member

It started knocking. I was told by a mechanic in the family that the main bearings were worn and it would eventually sling a rod if i keep driving it. The piston rings are worn out causing it to burn oil and smoke like crazy.

I guess i`m going to pull the engine myself and buy the parts my self then take it somewhere or try to talk him into helping me rebuild it. I was also considering finding a wrecked truck with the same motor and buying it but im not sure what to do yet.
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well good luck with that man hope everything works out for you. keep us posted as to when or if your going to get your engine pulled.
Old October 13th, 2010, 4:41 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow dude, really sorry to hear that about such a recent purchase.
good luck, whatever you plan to do.
Old October 14th, 2010, 5:23 PM
CF Active Member

ditto, That sucks. Well, the nice thing is it's a chevy so there are tons of motors around. Just be careful with a used motor. i bought one for my old ranchero (302ci). I had problems with parts matching. Don't know why, but just a heads up.

Keep us up to date on how you make out.

Ohh, have you thought about a crate motor from either Chevy or a local parts store?

Anyway, good luck!!!!
Old October 14th, 2010, 8:39 PM
CF Junior Member

I called that dealeship today and after a little threating they said to come up saturday and we will dicuss what to do about it. He said there was a red one on the lot for around the same price he would consider trading it. The only problem I have with this is he could just be screwing me over again. Then when I wanted them to come pick it up he said it was my truck it was my problem how it got there, and if it wasnt running when it got there that there was no way in hell he was taking it.

I think there is a law in Alabama that even if a car as sold as is that if they fail to tell you that anything is wrong with it they have to fix it or give you your money back.