Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07' Clock issue

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07' Clock issue

My 07' T-Hoe has the standard no frills factory stereo system. Randomly, 2-3 times a week, when vehicle is started, the clock resets itself to random times. I do not lose saved radio stations, just the time is effected. Getting to b a pain. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:31 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default battery

4 year old weak battery in a vehicle that loves power...

starting it draws just enough to make the radio go brain dead...
Old May 19th, 2011, 2:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Thekintnerboy
My 07' T-Hoe has the standard no frills factory stereo system. Randomly, 2-3 times a week, when vehicle is started, the clock resets itself to random times. I do not lose saved radio stations, just the time is effected. Getting to b a pain. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your Tahoe. Have you spoken with your dealership for a diagnosis?

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 19th, 2011, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Sabr- so a fresh battery should solve it? Also, it's wierd that it only affects the clock and not the programed stations....?

CCS- I have not contacted my dealer, hoping to solve this on my own.
Old May 20th, 2011, 9:19 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Thekintnerboy
Sabr- so a fresh battery should solve it? Also, it's wierd that it only affects the clock and not the programed stations....?

CCS- I have not contacted my dealer, hoping to solve this on my own.

I completely understand. Please keep me updated with this issue. I would like to know if you figured out a way to get this fixed.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service

Old May 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I too would be suspicious of the battery but would think you would be seeing some slow starting or dead battery conditions.... where is the charging needle pointing.
(I know this is only an indicator and not accurate but it can give you info on the battery always being in needing a charge state)

Don't read too much into what it reads when you first start it, will need to drive it a bit to return the initial drain that was put on it when you started it...
It should be 14 or less, any extended time over 14 and its probably the battery....

I say this because I just had a bout with a dead/dying battery that was only 18mo old...thou I saw no other symptoms other then weak and no start...

Last edited by in2pro; May 20th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:57 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default battery

well, how old is the battery, and would it be cheaper than 1 trip to the dealer?

Always start with the cheapest part... and if it's between the battery and replacing the radio...

Since everything else seems good, those are my 2 best guesses.

the tahoe knows where it is... OnCrap has GPS location capabilities...and GPS works by knowing what time it is right now down to the .0000000000 whatever accuracy... why in 2011 are we still setting clocks manually?

Ohh, because, yea... that.

Global Positioning System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"GPS time is accurate to about 14 nanoseconds.[74]"

So if your late, it's your own fault.
Old May 20th, 2011, 9:59 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro

Don't read too much into what it reads when you first start it, will need to drive it a bit to return the initial drain that was put on it when you started it...
It should be 14 or less, any extended time over 14 and its probably the battery....
With the new computer controlled charging system (read crappy), my voltage indicator ranges between 13-15 V. I contend that is not good for a lead-acid battery. And if I leave it in the KOEO position for more than a couple of minutes, it shuts everything down and say start the engine. Now I know there's a big electrical load on the battery, but two minutes shouldn't drain it that much.

BTW my oil pressure indicator reads about 30 psi and service says that's just fine. I'm calling BS on that. Never had a SBC that didn't read 40 psi including my 2007.

Last edited by 73shark; May 20th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:53 AM
CF Active Member

Default Not the Battery AFAIK.

There is a TSB out there re: this issue, but I can't get to the details on what to repair. Does anyone have access or can you point me to a site? TSB is 01864, Summary:
Radio cd skips/ejects or clock resets to 12:00.

Mine is a 2003 Suburban and this applies to 2004 vehicles as well, I am surprised it is still occurring on 2007 models.

Surely there is a fix by now?

My current battery is only about 2 yrs old, it has been checked and is good. I have checked for corrosion and loose wires, even the grounds (one possible cause mentioned on some other forums).

Here are my WAGs.

Seems to me this might be a computer or radio problem. My first thought was some corrosion and cables after the battery checked out, but alas, if that is it, then I have not found the proper cable/connection.

I have noticed that from those that have mentioned it, they had the Bose 6CD units as do I.

It also seems odd that it would run from the 2003 model to the 2007, just like the gauge stepmotor problems.

Just to help everyone that doesn't believe me Put this into your search engine. "Suburban clock resets"
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 73shark
With the new computer controlled charging system (read crappy), my voltage indicator ranges between 13-15 V. I contend that is not good for a lead-acid battery. And if I leave it in the KOEO position for more than a couple of minutes, it shuts everything down and say start the engine. Now I know there's a big electrical load on the battery, but two minutes shouldn't drain it that much.

BTW my oil pressure indicator reads about 30 psi and service says that's just fine. I'm calling BS on that. Never had a SBC that didn't read 40 psi including my 2007.
when you say KOEO position you mean with the guages and all still active? I had ours in that "position" last weekend and had music playing for over an hour with 0 issues. maybe you need a better battery?

how many other companies are using a similar charging system - if any? I really don't think the 1oz of gas it saves over a year is worth the headaches it has caused...

Quick Reply: 07' Clock issue