Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe Power Liftgate Problem

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2012, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe Power Liftgate Problem

My power lift gate has began to act up. First when it opened it would make a loud bang at tue very top just before it stopped. Then it refused to close when I punched the button. It would make noise for a second but wouldn't close automatically. Now it'll still open with power but when it opens all the way it begins to bang loudly at the top and jumps up and down several inches over amd over again and then closes very quickly. I'm not really sure where to start with this issue. Any suggestions?
Old December 15th, 2012, 9:18 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

My guess is there some mechanical issues in the drive mechanism. Missing teeth maybe.
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

might also consider replacing the hatch struts if they are original... they get weak over time and even more so when its cold... use extreme caution when removing them, the hatch is very heavy... use a 2x4 to support it and make sure its not supported by the glass for obvious reasons....
Old December 18th, 2012, 8:16 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by silverlx
My power lift gate has began to act up. First when it opened it would make a loud bang at tue very top just before it stopped. Then it refused to close when I punched the button. It would make noise for a second but wouldn't close automatically. Now it'll still open with power but when it opens all the way it begins to bang loudly at the top and jumps up and down several inches over amd over again and then closes very quickly. I'm not really sure where to start with this issue. Any suggestions?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> silverlx,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Tahoe vehicle. The other posters offer some great suggestions. Another possibility is the Power Liftgate Module may need to be reprogrammed.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis and repair option(s).

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 3rd, 2015, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having issues with my 2007 Tahoe power liftgate. It opens, near the top it makes grinding noises, then closes halfway, then all the way back to top, then closes itself all the way.