Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

09 Tahoe XM Radio Won't Work?

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Tahoe XM Radio Won't Work?

My 2009 Tahoe XM radio won't receive any of the channels after it has been refreshed numerous times. It says that the channels are not authorized. I took the vechicle in to the dealer and they used a scan tool on it to see if everything was working properly and they said everything is working properly. Yes, I do have a current subscription.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be blocking the radio from receiving the signal when it is sent? I still receive the 2 preview channels,but that is it.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you spoke to the XM folks and giving them the radio number located on channel 0?
If you have and its still an issue I would suspect that the XM module is defective.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 3:14 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When you refreshed the radio, was your truck running and in plain view of the sky for 20 minutes? The signal sent is not always instant and the radio needs to be on to recieve the signal.
I fixed one today that took the full 20minutes.
If you are certain that all the steps have been performed properly, then the dealership needs to do more than just throw the tech2 on it to diagnose it. More than likely, as in2pro stated, the XM module is at fault
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

I 've done all of the above mutiple times and it still won't pick up the signal. The dealership even tried it 4or 5 times and ended up with the same results. Would you happen to have a diagram of where the module is? Is the XM module married to my vechile's vin number or would a module out of another new Tahoe work?
Thanks for your time.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 6:29 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you have to install a brand new module. They are, like you said, married to each vehicle they are installed into. But why would you put a used one in? you are under waranty and the xm module is covered under warranty. take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.
If you want to do a little investgative work yourself, open the glove box, push up and the retainer to drop the glove box to the floor, and the Digital Radio Recieve(DRR) is back there to the right. It is a silver box with a green antenna wire and one black connector
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help! I called the dealer and told them to order me a new ( DRR) for my Tahoe it should be in next week and I will post the results.
Old January 27th, 2009, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Just got the new (DRR) installed today and it works great!
Thanks for your help.
Old January 28th, 2009, 7:38 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

That is good to hear, I’m glad you got it working.
It’s a little unfortunate that you had to go thru so many steps to get it repaired thou.
If the refreshes at the dealer didn’t fix it they should have know to go right to the module and that should have all been 1 trip.
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Again
Old March 10th, 2015, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default XM Module fried by Jump Start! Caution.

Tahoe Owners with XM module. I'm in the proess of getting a new module after jump starting my 09 Tahoe last week. If you jump your vehicle be sure the radio is turned OFF. Fried my module! Thankfully under extended warranty, still it will cost $200 deductable! Something you'd want to avoid.