Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2014, 9:22 PM
Administrator

Received 162 Likes on 160 Posts

I recall that someone posted pics of both the old and new design dashes earlier in this thread. Also recall that someone posted that their new design dash cracked.

I still think it's related to installation and the cracking is being caused by body flex.
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash cap

If anyone is thinking of getting a dash cap to cover up the cracks on their dash, don't get one from Dashtop. I'm not impressed at all. It looks just like a lot of the other caps I've seen on the internet so I'm not sure if any others are better or not. It looks great out of the box but once installed it looks like the airbag is sunken in. The adhesive isn't the greatest and it really hard to keep the cap to set down on the original dash until the adhesive sets. You have to put something heavy on it for at least 4 hours to make sure it doesn't pop up. It also doesn't sit flush in some places. Overall though it's better than looking at four huge cracks and a dash that flops around when you drive.

I really despise GM for not stepping up and taking care of this. I didn't receive any help with a replacement dash. I would of had to pay full price and labor. All I got was some fake sympathy and unfulfilled promises to look into it further from the reps.
Old June 6th, 2014, 6:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well thanks for that info on the dashcap and sorry it doesnt look good. I was worried about the exact same thing.

Would you mind posting picture up of it installed ?

I still need to swing by a trim shop in Atlanta and get them to quote covering the dash in a mating material, I wonder what that would cost. I think covering it with leather or suede would actually prevent it from cracking further and would eliminate the rattles caused by the cracked dash fluttering.

And yeah, I 2nd your regards to GM for this. Unless they step up, I wont be spending another penny with them and will encourage everyone else I know to do the same.
Old June 10th, 2014, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Jeff,
I saw your post on this forum regarding cracked dashboards. I have the same cracked dash issue on my 2008 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 2500 (diesel). Currently there is only 45,000 miles on my truck. Do you have any suggestions on how I should proceed with my local dealership? (resident in Los Angeles County, California)

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!!
Shelly V.
Old June 11th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All -

I did contact a trim shop (Love's Trim Shop, Locust Grove, GA).

These guys do amazing work for the VW crowd, ive seen the work 1st hand at some shows.

So I explained the issue and Kip (the owner) said it would cost $200-$300 depending on material choice to take a cracked dash, use fiberglass reinforcement in the damaged areas to prevent further cracking, then cover the dash with a high quality vinyl (he said not to use leather for dashes).

This seems like it would be a permanent solution (that wouldnt involve GM). And you would get to chose whatever color you wanted and whatever stitching (french seam, baseball, ect...). I believe this is why the problem is not happening on the Escalades.

So if I can figure out how to remove this dash, or even look for a used cracked 1, I will have them cover it for me then swap out mine for the new, all for few hundred bucks (and the time it will take me).

Im still looking for instructions how to remove this dash. But this could be a good way to go, find a decent trim shop in your area, reinforce the crappy GM dash in the weak areas, then cover with high quality vinyl. (pretty much all the things GM should have done before taking our $).
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Chevy Tahoe LT

Same problem here. Dash cracked at the top of the pass side airbag. Called my dealership, Jeff Gordon Chevy in Wilmington, NC. I was told that that was a trim piece and that it was not covered. I was told basically that yes you bought a $50,000 vehicle and too bad that your dash cracked. This truck is garage kept and has a sun shade in the windshield when it is outside. I called GM customer care and they said an advisor will call me. I will let you know what happens
Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Info

Originally Posted by Jadtamu97
So I was contacted by GM about the four cracks in my dashboard and they seemed very concerned. Of course once I got call from Chevy dealer here in San Antonio they said GM will offer no help and it would be full price to replace my dashboard. The cracks are so bad it just flops around when I drive. I even asked about the razor sharp door handles on the inside of both driver and passenger side. They said those should be covered but when they checked my vin they said there would be no help for those either and it would be $180 for each handle. I think we are going to trade in this car for a sequoia and get my wife a Camry instead of Malibu. Always been a Chevy guy. Now it's nothing but toyota for me.
You can get the entire interior door handle assembly, or just the handle for under $20 on ebay. I just changed out the driver's front door assembly on my mom's 2010 Tahoe in under 30 minutes. Buy it from ebay and change it. I have a very hard time believing they told you $180 for each handle. Even if you just bought the part from a GM site it wouldn't be no more than $40. I have linked them for you...

2007 chevrolet tahoe interior door handle | eBay
Old August 2nd, 2014, 1:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default What I was Told...

I was going through the same issues over a year ago with the dash, interior door handles, steering wheel peeling, etc. You can go back and look at my post from May 2013. I was able to get mine fixed at my local dealership for no charge.

Fast forward to last week...My Tahoe is white. My exterior door handles were starting to peel(they are white as well) I went in to see if they would help me out on changing them. I wanted to get the chrome handles, and they told me it would be $145 plus labor, which came out to be $345.00 plus tax. The handles are available on ebay for around $110.00, and I told them that. They were for sale on there from another Chevrolet dealer. Not only did they sale me the handles for $110.00, they also knocked off half of the labor costs. My total ended up being $241.19, and that was including tax and $10.00 in shop supplies.

My take on this whole situation is that I agree with all of you that the dash, interior door handles, and peeling steering wheel cover are all defects and should be replaced by GM at no cost to the consumer. Since most of us have come to figure out, that's not going to happen in 99% of the cases. I spoke, at length, to the service manager at my local dealership about this situation when I picked my Tahoe up after they finished installing the exterior handles. He told me that it is determined on a case by case situation, and it is solely at the discretion of the service manager. You have a better chance of getting these things taken care of at no cost or a discounted cost if you have a good relationship with them.

To save you guys some time, the fake Chevy reps on here are worthless. There is no need to send them your info via PM. You can do exactly what they do. They call your "preferred" dealer, tell them what's going on, and issue you a number. That's it. End of story for them. I was able to get my replacements over a year ago because of the relationship I have with the service manager. The deal that you get, if any, all depends on the relationship you have with them.

Hope this helps...
Old August 2nd, 2014, 9:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Pealing chrome interior door handles

Originally Posted by cfilly
You can get the entire interior door handle assembly, or just the handle for under $20 on ebay. I just changed out the driver's front door assembly on my mom's 2010 Tahoe in under 30 minutes. Buy it from ebay and change it. I have a very hard time believing they told you $180 for each handle. Even if you just bought the part from a GM site it wouldn't be no more than $40. I have linked them for you...

2007 chevrolet tahoe interior door handle | eBay
This is a pdf file and will take a moment to download and open. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...004-41791P.pdf
My service writer told me that GM expanded the service bulletin but I didn't find it at NHTSA.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

you can fight with chevy but you won't win I have begun to replace my fleet of trucks with Dodge done

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????