Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2014, 9:31 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

TDsandBeer
Welcome to the forum please do keep us updated...
I too have an 07 garage kept and use a sunshade religiously so far I have not had any dash issues
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you in2pro for welcoming me to the group, I will update the forum sometime after my meeting with the dealer on Tuesday.
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

UPDATE: Sorry for the delayed response, but the meeting went better than in Arkansas. Larry Mack at Love Chevrolet was very courteous and told me that he would check with his supplier to see what kind of deal he could get me. Larry called me the next day and said he could do a 60/40 split. I was hoping for a little better, but with labor new dash and replacing all 4 interior door handles (flaking chrome) I am looking at $550.00. I do not want to pull a dash, so I have an appointment for this coming Tuesday to have it fixed. As far as the door moldings, I was quoted $250.00 to have them painted on the car. I’ll probably just wait on those for now.
Old May 18th, 2014, 7:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by TDsandBeer
UPDATE: Sorry for the delayed response, but the meeting went better than in Arkansas. Larry Mack at Love Chevrolet was very courteous and told me that he would check with his supplier to see what kind of deal he could get me. Larry called me the next day and said he could do a 60/40 split. I was hoping for a little better, but with labor new dash and replacing all 4 interior door handles (flaking chrome) I am looking at $550.00. I do not want to pull a dash, so I have an appointment for this coming Tuesday to have it fixed. As far as the door moldings, I was quoted $250.00 to have them painted on the car. I’ll probably just wait on those for now.
Same door handle on my '08, Mac Haik Chev replaced them and apologized.
I believe there's a recall or TSB on the peeling door handles which means it's free.
Defect Investigations Results | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Last edited by mhanlen; May 18th, 2014 at 7:28 AM.
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

/have you thought about having an interior shop cover the dash ?

the new 1 they will install will likely also crack.
Old May 21st, 2014, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

The dealership informed me that there was no recall on the door handles that they knew of. They replaced the two in the front, but not the rear. Larry went and asked the shop and he came back with the rear handles. I'll put them in later.

I called around and even looked into coverlay dash caps, but did not get very good response from shops on a repair. A new dash is the cleanest most complete repair, and I don't if anyone on the forum has pulled a dash, but that is not something I ever want to do again. By letting the dealership do it, the professionals took care of it and any pieces they broke (like the triangle covers for the side mirrors) they had to order new ones.

All in all the new dash looks great and I made sure to stress the point that if it cracks again they will replace it on their dime. I also discussed with Larry that he recommends to only use a damp cloth to clean the dash . I guess the products such as Armorall can trap in the heat and cause it to crack.

So now I'm just waiting on the pre-painted side moldings from BMC Extreme customs to arrive and I'll get those swapped out. Thanks again to Mr Larry Mack at Love Chevy for his help and all the replys to this post.
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for the follow up

All I have ever used was a damp cloth to clean my dash...
(but not because of crack risk or not caring for the shiny look, but many products emit gases or vapor that haze up the inside of the windshield, and I hate hazy/dirty glass and cleaning the inside windshield is always hard to get perfect.)

I could see that petroleum based products could cause a breakdown of the plastics, but I don't think Armor-all has petroleum products in it....
Old June 1st, 2014, 5:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is armor all's response way back when the local chevy service manager told me it was my fault for using armor all and i should contact them, in which i did

December 21, 2009
Mr. John Stinson
Gainesville, FL 32608-5149
Reference Number: 6013862
Dear Mr. Stinson,
Thank you for contacting us about your Armor All Protectant Wipes. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We are aware that tire companies and car makers like to blame our product for the cracks in the dash. However, most of them believe our product is made of petroleum which would dry out and crack the dash. Our product has never contained petroleum it is a water based silicone emulsion. Our product has been thoroughly tested and will not harm the dashboard. I would contact GM again and find out if your dash is painted? Many companies are now painting the dashboards and our product is not designed for painted surfaces. We wish companies would put it in their owner's manuals, however, they don't. I know GM is now painting some of their dashes. I find it strange that other Tahoe owners are getting cracks in the same place, it sounds to me like they may have a defect in the dash. I would find it hard to believe that every one of the owner's used Armor All and that they would crack in the same place. I hope this information will help you.
Again, thank you for contacting us.
Sincerely,

Patti Copper
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services

To let us know what you think about your experience emailing our company, please click on the following link to complete an online satisfaction survey.
Email Satisfaction Survey

If you have additional questions or comments, please click here to respond to this email.

Last edited by bamafutbal; June 1st, 2014 at 5:09 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 7:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive only ever used damp cloth and my dash is cracked all the way across in 2 places ...

So, ther armor all excuse doesnt jive.

GM, try fixing this obvious issue and quit trying to dodge it.

TDsandBeer - did you happen to get pictures of your old cracked dash versus new dash in the crack areas ? Or at least get a glimpse to see if GM has bothered to stiffen the crack areas ?

We have seen another picture of a "newer" style dash and it did have some different molded structure in the crack areas, but Ive also heard that these "newer" style dashes also crack just the same. I hope you have it in writing that GM will replace your new dash again if it cracks.

There are 1,000's of examples on this thread alone of how GM does not support their customers.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 5:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gruvenparts.com
Ive only ever used damp cloth and my dash is cracked all the way across in 2 places ...

So, ther armor all excuse doesnt jive.

GM, try fixing this obvious issue and quit trying to dodge it.

TDsandBeer - did you happen to get pictures of your old cracked dash versus new dash in the crack areas ? Or at least get a glimpse to see if GM has bothered to stiffen the crack areas ?

We have seen another picture of a "newer" style dash and it did have some different molded structure in the crack areas, but Ive also heard that these "newer" style dashes also crack just the same. I hope you have it in writing that GM will replace your new dash again if it cracks.

There are 1,000's of examples on this thread alone of how GM does not support their customers.

The material looks and feels the same on the outside. Feels stiffer, but that might be due to not having cracks anymore.
No I didn't get any pictures of the underneath side. I have my receipt and Mr. Larry Mack's assurance. If it cracks again and they (Chevy) does not honor their promise, guess I'll be force to sue for false adverting and negligence ...... and whatever else the lawyers can come up with.
Hope that doesn't happen cause I have better things to do than make a public spectacle of how GM should own their mistakes.

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????