Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2010, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 Z71 Tahoe with 54k miles and just noticed the day after Thanksgiving that a large crack on the driver side hump has formed. It is rather large and growing towards the steering wheel. Also, the driver side door handle's chrome is peeling off and I could see it cutting flesh soon enough. I have read many of the posts here and they relate to 2007 models, but has anyone seen this happen to the '08s? I have contacted the dealership and they told me to bring to get checked out and they had not heard of a recall on the dash or handles ever on a Tahoe. It seems that I may be in for a screw job.

Anyone help?

I have an '04 Silverado and was going to trade it in for a '11 HD2500 this next weekend...hope this doesn't put a bad taste in my mouth.
Old December 7th, 2010, 6:46 AM
CF Junior Member

I was told I would have to pay 1/2, $400!
I told the dealer to call GM back and try again.
Everyone it is a must to keep bugging GM over this, the more calls, the better chance we all have. They are not seeing this as much as I expected. I have friends that are GM Tech's and they think people are just excepting the fact and not calling it in or taking it to the dealer since it is out of warranty.
People stay on them and demand that GM fix this at their expense.
I made it very clear with my dealer whom I purchased my last 2 Chevy's from new, that I was done with them and GM if I was not happy with the results.
Old December 7th, 2010, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

I have an '08 Tahoe. I had 37K miles when my dash cracked and my door handles peeled. GM told me they would do nothing. My dealership offered to fix both for $100 even. As much as I think it should have been replaced for free, I was fine paying that to get it all taken care of without anymore hassle.
Old December 7th, 2010, 8:08 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

fpetrini Thanks for the update, who was your dealer?
Old December 8th, 2010, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

It is Champion Chevrolet in Austin. My wife loves them....they provide good service, and seem to be very intuned to making us satisfied. I did not even buy the vehicle there.
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Chris at Davis-Moore Chevrolet here in Wichita Kansas, just called back and I agreed to pay $200, they would cover the rest which is around $700. I am ok with that, if there is a recall I will be refunded.
I have 67k on my 2007 Tahoe, there is still no excuse for this crack in my dash and GM needs to recognize their flaw.
I can take the offer or risk having to pay more down the road if I try to fight it harder then I already have.
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by fpetrini
It is Champion Chevrolet in Austin. My wife loves them....they provide good service, and seem to be very intuned to making us satisfied. I did not even buy the vehicle there.
They sure do, that is who I go to... I will have to mention to my service writer that Champion is getting a good word about them in forums
Old December 9th, 2010, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Saga continues...

My saga continues:

Filed a complaint with BBB against Chevrolet. Dash is now cracked through to front part of dash.

GM contacted me 15min ago in reference to my vehicle issue. Asked for my personal info, make, model, vin, when purchased, current mileage, for personal/work use, and if the vehicle has had any insurance claims of any type.

My 07 Tahoe now has 61k miles from personal use, never been in any accident and was purchased new off the lot. The GM CSR informed me that due to age/mileage of vehicle, they would be unable to process my claim. I informed her I've been calling for over 16 months and the vehicle had only 39k miles on it when the cracks started. She acknowledged I had previous "tickets" with Chevrolet, but stated that had no bearing with the current decision. ?????

She then ended conversation with "have a nice day sir and thank you for choosing Chevrolet". Total time on phone...2 minutes.

I decided to head over to visit a friend of mine with the US Border Patrol yesterday. After talking with him, we decided to look at their '07 Tahoes/Suburbans in the lot. I couldn't find a single one without at least 1 crack (psgr airbag), almost all had many. I'm guessing I looked at 75 sitting in the yard (many more were assigned out). The '08s were 50/50 for the airbag crack.

Dear Chev/GM, I give up, you win. You have converted me to become a Ford man. Wife loves her 2011 Mustang I just picked up over the Camero because of this "Non-Issue".
Old December 10th, 2010, 7:40 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MD1735 I don't know why you are having such an issue - I got mine replaced for $200 with 1 call to the dealership 1st then GM CS followed up with the same offer. PM me if you want more details on my replacement. I do not see any reason why you could not get the same coverage

oh and I would take the 2010 or 2011 Mustang over the Camaro any day not because I am a Ford or Chevy guy but it is simply a great sports car to look at AND drive. the Camaro is only good to look at - feels like you are in a cave, can't see anything and if you do look at the dash it looks like a kid designed it.

Last edited by ousig2408; December 10th, 2010 at 7:43 AM.
Old December 11th, 2010, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

The saga continues. Chevrolet keeps calling me back wanting to know if I've had the vehicle fixed. All of this after they told me they would not cover the repair totally. The best they'll do is me pay for the labor ($316.00). The dash has 2 cracks in it. Hump in front of the driver and the passenger airbag to vent area. I assume I'll call and do it as bad as I hate it, they won't cover it. Total crock as it's certainly a material flaw. Whomever makes their dashes screwed the pooch there. I'll keep the receipt and wait for the recall I guess.

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????