Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2010, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing quite a bit of research on this topic, I came across this forum and more specifically this thread in regards to the faulty dashes in 2007-2010 GM trucks/sport utilities. I don't have too much to add to this thread, other than a small bit of hope on the horizon. There is very large firm out of Dallas, TX that is currently weighing its options in possibly representing the now 1,000's of individuals that have been affected by this design flaw. A class action suit could be filed as early as Spring of 2011, in hopes that GM would admit to the well documented flaw and set up a TSB and relief for the many people that own the damaged vehicles in question.

Nothing is set in stone, but I'm making this post in hopes that when the time comes, that those who have been affected, will take time to forward on any info they are willing to share. You will see similar posts show up in the following weeks on GM enthusiast sites all over the web.

Last edited by Filthy; October 5th, 2010 at 9:36 PM.
Old October 6th, 2010, 7:47 AM
CF Junior Member

I did want to add that we got a call from one of the area reps saying she had received the info from the dealer but would need to check and get back to us with how much we would have to pay. I wasn't on the call but THAT came as a shock. Needless to say, I'm not paying for a known problem (she admitted it was a known issue). I'll wait to hear back before making my next move.
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Hello all,

Newbie here. Same story. Cracked dashboard by top left passenger side airbag. Bought the 07 Tahoe LTZ about 2-3 weeks ago and never noticed the dash. It did have the peeling door handles in all four which dealer took care of. The steering wheel trim rubberized pieces are also literally peeling off. I didn't mind this part cause it is minor and replaceable. But the cracked dash is a safety concern due to having it by the airbag. I just PM'd Jeff, hopefully he will be able to help as the dealer is done with me after I paid them off. Will update....

Rich
Old October 7th, 2010, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This just happend to my 2007 Z71 this week. 8 inch crack above the instrument cluster.....
Old October 7th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by rich05
Hello all,

Newbie here. Same story. Cracked dashboard by top left passenger side airbag. Bought the 07 Tahoe LTZ about 2-3 weeks ago and never noticed the dash. It did have the peeling door handles in all four which dealer took care of. The steering wheel trim rubberized pieces are also literally peeling off. I didn't mind this part cause it is minor and replaceable. But the cracked dash is a safety concern due to having it by the airbag. I just PM'd Jeff, hopefully he will be able to help as the dealer is done with me after I paid them off. Will update....

Rich
I seem to remember someone mentioning a bulletin on the door handles. The wheel trim pieces require airbag removal in order to replace. Try to get the ones on the 2010 if you can.
Old October 8th, 2010, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Here I go again....

Ok, as my previous post note, my personal '07 Tahoe's dash is cracked (now totally from front to back in 2 locations and rattles now).

Well wouldn't you know, my employeer just assigned me a '07 Suburban LTZ that's been sitting in a parking lot for 3year (7k miles). Was used as a "VIP" vehicle, now they just want me to put miles on it.

Anyhow, when I got in it, I checked it out for any damage. Not even a door ding. My experience with the dash had me check it out...no cracks.

Then came last Thursday, driving down the highway with co-workers and we hear a loud pop. Couldn't figure out what it was at first, then I remembered the dash. Yep, my 2nd '07 dash cracked at the top left of the psgr airbag, same spot as my personal vehicle.

Called GM, dealer took a 10sec look...GM responded not their problem (shorten version).

I can't wrap my mind around this non-defect. The Suburban sat in a TX parking lot, exposed to sun for a little over 3 years. Most of this time it was stationary since it only aquired 7k miles and lots of dust. Unlike my personal Tahoe which sat in a garage, has 60k (dash went at 39k) and is treated like a child. What do the 2 have in common to cause this issue, besides me? Could someone at GM/Chevrolet please notify me as to what care I need to do to these dashs to keep the cracks from spreading? I'm out of options and afraid anything I do will make it worse. Odviously special care needs to be taken and I don't want it to get any worse that it already is.

Just give me options as to what to do, any advise other than "not our problem".
Old October 8th, 2010, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
I seem to remember someone mentioning a bulletin on the door handles. The wheel trim pieces require airbag removal in order to replace. Try to get the ones on the 2010 if you can.

I've gotten the door handles taken care of and the steering wheel trim pieces that I'm trying to replace are the brushed aluminum ones. Is that the same style as the 2010 you're reffering too? Do you have any pics of that?

Thanks,

Rich

Still waiting on Jeff Morris, Chevy Rep.
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

I thought you were replacing the '07 design w/ the thin rubber-like coating. The 2010 and maybe earlier models have a finish that mimics the trim around the vents, sort of a brushed titanium look.
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Yes that's what I want. I thought there were differences in the 2010. GMPD got them listed at $60 a piece. Not to bad if you have to see it everyday. Thanks for your input.

Rich
Old October 9th, 2010, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dealer replaced dash without question

I took my '07 Tahoe to the dealer in Austin, TX yesterday and with no questions asked they replaced the dashboard, and the door handles too (of course those were recalled). It only took them a couple of hours.

There were two cracks, one on the front left of the passenger airbag, and another right above the steering column. I had been corresponding with Chevrolet Customer Service for two months and couldn't even get a call back or talk to anyone other than filing the original claim. I should have gone to the dealer from the beginning.

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????