Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2013, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 Tahoe with about 93,000 miles. Bought it used in 2010 and ended up getting the dash replaced in 2011 due to cracking. Dealer did it free since still under the GM Certified 12 mo/12k warranty. Just noticed this week we have another crack in the dash (driver side close to windshield). VERY frustrated having to deal with this again. Owned the Tahoe 3.5 years and 2 cracks already. Should I take it back to the dealer who replaced the dash before and talk with them about doing it again? Also have the rubber trim peeling off the steering wheel and black paint peeling off the outside drivers side door handle (inner part).

Thanks...
Old September 6th, 2013, 8:40 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum..

Yes I would take it back to the dealer that replaced it originally, as there should be a new style that has reinforcements in the areas that crack...
I think they all have the peeling steering wheel I have that on my 07 and just haven't taken the time to remove all of it as you have to disable the air bag to remove the assembly.
As for the paint peeling chipping on the outside handle, that may be considered normal wear and tear....do you wear rings or open the door with your keys in hand?
Old September 6th, 2013, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

My story is this... bought a 2008 Tahoe brand new in mid 2008. At 35,000 miles I paid a few grand for the GMPP extended warranty - zero deductable, exactly like the factory warranty. At ~67,000 miles (still under GMPP warranty) I noticed that my dash was cracked behind the instrument cluster hump. Who knows how long it had been cracked, I don't look back there! My wife noticed it because the crack had come all of the way around and visible from the passenger's seat. I go to get the dash replaced and I am told that GM will not honor the warranty, even though it is the same as the original factory warranty. I make some legal ramblings with coaching from my attorney and they make a 60/40 deal where I pay $317 to get a new dash installed. Not legal, but I agreed so that I can fix the problem before the entire instrument cluster hump collapses in on itself!

You can purchase a brand new dash for $273 from several of the online wholesalers. It's 4.5 hours book time to replace it. So, for me, the $317 vs $273+my time was worth it. However, I am not happy about spending thousands of dollars on an extended warranty to find out that they won't honor it. I want my $317 back. Do I need to join the class action lawsuit against GM to get it? Probably so.

GM won't cover the steering wheel spoke cover peeling issue, door handles, etc. Even though those items are specifically not excluded from their factory (or extended) warranty information.

I decided to not buy the new Z06 because of these problems, and my son is getting a Honda instead of something cool like a Camaro or other GM product. The $317 mistake has cost GM no less than $100,000 from me alone. I wonder what the total loss is going to be from not making good on advertised warranties...
Old September 6th, 2013, 2:18 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

For future reference you can get a GMPP warranty from Black Pontiac Cadillac in Pennsylvania for less than what most dealers can get it for.
Old September 6th, 2013, 2:27 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

pwelhman,

We can also look into the peeling door handles as well.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 13th, 2013, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Add me to the list. 2009 Suburban LTZ with 54,000 miles and at least two cracks in the dash...
Old September 13th, 2013, 7:56 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi riggz,

We're sorry to learn about your cracked dash. Please feel free to PM us and we'll work on addressing this problem for you. Please include your full name, VIN, contact information, preferred dealership. We look forward to working with you.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 17th, 2013, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

I own a 2007 Silverado with 115k miles on it. I just took it in yesterday to have the 2 huge dash cracks looked at and they said based on the "pro-rated tool" they use to calculate how much they'll pay for the replacement, I'll only have to pay around $650. Is this for real? It seems based on the responses on this board most people are getting estimates for around $350?

Should I try another dealer? I'm contemplating just trading in this POS now and buying a F150.
Old September 17th, 2013, 9:53 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

rlehma1 Have contacted Chevrolet Customer Service? If not you may want to explore that avenue, from what I have read and picked up from the other post is you best results will be based on: being the original owner and having less than 100k miles...

All auto manufactures are going to have their share of unhappy customers, Google the year and type of vehicle(s) you are interested in and put the word "problems" at the end and you can find lots of info on what others are seeing as an issue i.e. Ford F150 -> 2011 Ford F-150 Problems, Defects & Complaints | CarComplaints.com

I'm not excusing GM, but just saying that its not just GM...
Old September 17th, 2013, 2:33 PM
Official GM Rep

rlehma1,

I see you were able to get your diagnosis. If you would like us to open your case back up so we can finish looking into this please let us know.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????